it seems the idea is already floating around in some of the topics,
this is my ambitious take on it
i would need a panel (full pad page) of all chord substitution / “possible chords replacement” (in the B zone) for a current selected chord.
Zone C should be availiable so we can try these chord proposals “in context” right away.
to me this “substition panel” should be where we can THINK OUT OF THE BOX
either finding something fresh and interesting for a 4 chord progression, solving a weird modulation path, finding a crazy bridge….
Which means NOT a curated “ good sounding” ( read : too predictable ) selection of chord,
but a a really wide open minded way of looking at “chord sub”.
As this approach obviously generates a lot of candidates,
the trick is then to empower us by giving many option to filter the results ( see below “filters” )
it should gather at least :
- suggested chords ( those in “edit chords” mode )
with addition on “funk / jazz “ chords ( without 3rd or 5th or Tonic )
- M & m variations of same chord
- common tones
- modal interchange
- tonic sub
- tritonic sub
Dom V > Dim 7
Chromatic mediant-ification ( M/m, bM/m & #M/m of chosen of chord)
Then filter those proposals, by
- common note number ( … 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 )
- voice leading ( notes closest to chord before / minimise leap with preceding chord )
( taking possible inversions of candidate chord into account )
- “in context” voice leading ( notes closest to chord before and chord after )
- bass note
- top note
- tension / dissonance ( inside candidate chord itself )
all filters should all be appliable in paralell ( at the same time )
what do you think ?