A dream-feature wishlist

It actually works the other way around… Select your chord set and scroll down the list of results to find the scale you want to use. When you select it, the chords will be updated with their new names and position relative to the selected scale.

This way you can see which chords (blue) are directly compatible with your scale and pick replacement chords directly from the chord variations list as it is also showing the scale you selected.

It is possible that your scale is really far down the bottom (or unlikely, not in the list at all) this means the new scale is not closely related to the original scale and the chords might not integrate smoothly in your song.

Hi Ed1 :slight_smile:
Thanks for the quick reply.

Ill give you an example of what I am getting at and why I think it would be good to have the option to predefine the key and scale (in some situations) It’s probably more a workflow thing.

Lets say I am writing a song in Logic, I record some midi using the scaler plug in. So I have 4 or 5 midi notes triggering chords in Scaler. My song is in A minor. I’ve done up some accompanying bass and pads in the same key. But now I’m thinking I wonder would these chords sound better if they were Jazz chords instead of 50s chords (or whatever).

So if I put my track in cycle mode and press play, it will play the chords I have selected in Scaler. If I then change from 50s to Jazz, my midi will trigger the jazz chords, but in the key you guys set them up in so this will be out with the rest of my track.

Yes, I can go into the scaler and follow the dropdown to get to the scale I want and thats what I currently do, but if there was an option in Scaler to default everything to the key and scale I pick, I can then jump through the different genre types very quickly and find some chords that I really like without having to scroll down each time I change genre or artist.

For workflow it would be super.

Thanks again.

Vinny

1 Like

Hi Vinny,
In theory that sounds great but for some users that may make Scaler a little mono-dimensional. Not only that but actually it wouldn’t be as effective as you would imagine it to be simply because many of Scaler’s genres and artists recommendations feature chords that aren’t specifically from a pre-determined scale or part of the diatonic chords of a scale.
So whilst we have thought about this often it wouldn’t actually work in practice. Besides, I love the unpredictability of changing the genres and finding an aligning Scale with similar chords that you can modulate to for key changes!

Hi,
I wasn’t suggesting that this should be the default mode, just an extra option for those that might work in a similar fashion to myself.
But whatever you guys think is best.
Cheers
Vinny

We shall ad to our feedback list and discuss on our next meet. Let’s see what the team think and whether it’s implementable.

1 Like

Love scaler but would spend much more time in it if you could sync the lower section to play the progression in time with the DAW and possibly have rhythmic options too. A bit like captain chords. Would also love an inbuilt arpeggiator.

Edit - Ok wow just seen the 1.5 update :astonished: Amazing.

1 Like

Hi @wcb123,

This is on the roadmap for a future version.

What do you mean exactly by rhythmic options? Are you thinking of setting a duration/repetition per chord and then the playback would just follow?
I think at this stage your DAW is better equipped for structuring your track and rhythms. It is easier to layout your track on a timeline.

We have to finish polishing this one and then we will start working on the next set of features, so keep sending your suggestions. :slight_smile:

Hi Scaler, just updated to 1.5 today, literally hours ago. Ive got to say, scaler is my most used progression app, hands down. I would love to be able to add me own sounds whether vst’s or actual .wav/.mp3 or .sf2 files. As it stands now, is there any way to mod scaler 1.5 or insert a line in the .ini file or something so that it recognizes a new instrument folder that i made myself?

is there any way to add your own sounds into the sounds folder and have them work? if not, for future updates allow us to have the ability to make our own inst. sound sets or add .sf2 files to instrument list… this would be awesome. and the ability to be a standalone app and load vsts thru scaler directly.