A list of real MMO-capable plugins like Edirol?

I think you are correct. Having downloaded this, I too am experimenting with it. What I find interesting is that within any given instrument you can open up options for samples with different dynamics/styles for that instrument. Below is an example for the Oboe

1 Like

I discovered that it is the only MMO-IN and MMO-OUT plugin I have (XPand!2 has just 4 channels IN, and zero OUT)
AND
I am often able to feed 12-14 instruments, and all 16 sometimes, using just one instance of Scaler
AND
changing just patterns, I have tons of interesting sound textures, riffs and melodies, something I cannot have with the other plugins I bought and/or tested so far
AND
all that is for free, even if one could consider that it was $350 when in the market; but I could spend happily the same if a similar orchestral plugin existed, with better sounds, that is not the case
Or simply nobody here knows one close to it in playability

Nope, so far I changed nothing because it plays amazingly defaulted

here is what Davide wrote

MIDI channel 1 is polyphonic and includes all notes
channels 2-15 are monophonic each containing a single note from lowest (channel 2) to highest (channel 15)

so, if you feed Edirol, each instrument brings its notes automatically and play those notes only

clearly, the process is not perfect, there are overlapping and missed notes sometimes, but it works

Yesterday I jammed for a couple of hours using just one Scaler driving Edirol, EzKeys, AAS Strum-GS, and Broomstick Bass, building up an incredible series of beautiful textures and melodies, and I had a lot of fun (that is the main reason why I play my plugins)

This is the part Iā€™m not getting. If youā€™re using Bitwig, you can achieve this very easily with Channel Filter and Instrument Layers.

I donā€™t find it easy at all, because I have to use 2 further unknown things, instead of zero
but if you are able to do a tutorial with it, maybe Iā€™ll change my idea

Iā€™ll see if I can prep some screenshots for you over the holidays :+1:t2:

1 Like

thanks a lot Ben ā€¦
i
i
:pray:

Exactly ā€¦but my question to @ClaudioPorcellana was what sounds are played? If you do that with Omnisphere, you will get a sine wave because thatā€™s the default patch on all channels. Load up Cakewalkā€™s 16 part multi-timbral (same essentially as the Edirol one cited) TTS synth and the channels are all GM patches.

I can only assume that whatever the defaults are fits with his playing, but itā€™s unlikely that any other synth will do that, without defining what patch will be played with each channel, which he doesnā€™t want to do - but heh, fair enough if the default works !

PS: For those under 40 here (are there any??) , the name Edirol actually applied to a multitude of products and was Rolandā€™s brand name for their cheaper offerings end of the marketā€¦

I still have my Edirol PC-200 keyboard controller in the attic http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/PC-200_OM.pdf

I also had a UM880 8x8 midi interface https://www.roland.com/uk/products/um-880/
Driver support died with Win 7, so I moved to an iConnectivity MioXM
mioXM ā€” iConnectivity

Roland dropped the Edirol branding in 2000, and any remaining products at that time were then sold under the Roland name.

1 Like

Interesting story,

so, it seems that there are no orchestral MMO plugins close to its playability around
luckily enough, I found Edirol :heart_eyes:

The Edirol General MIDI layout has fallen out of use for many reasons. The primary one is that few to none play music that way. People want to know what instrument is playing so they can play FOR that instrument. People just arenā€™t composing for General MIDI instruments. Karaoke machines being perhaps an exception but that is doubtful since Karaoke uses real recordings these days.

I would say the majority of Orchestral instruments for sale are MMO capable if not all. Multi-timbral is the whole aspect of orchestral composing. But there arenā€™t really any composers of orchestral (usually film, game and multimedia} that would want the instrument to just be set up. Just doesnā€™t work that way and thatā€™s not to belittle the hobbyists out there. The industry goes with the flow.

@panda you can download the Edirol VST here apparently. It is Windows and 32 bit only though.

I understand it, itā€™s a logical way to do business
But Iā€™ll go happily into my own flow
this is the best side of not being a professional :wink:
I can do anything I want and amuses me
and having fun is the only thing that matters to me about my hobbies
:grinning:

Not slighting your propensity to enjoy your musical explorations. Merely offering an explanation as to why more instrument like Edirol arenā€™t around as before. They are but evolved.
Enjoy yourself fully. Itā€™s why we are here.

1 Like

Is it possible to use the Hollywood orchestraā€™s instruments? It does have its own orchestra engine, but if you donā€™t want to use it.

Have any of you good folks used Edirol with Studio one, Iā€™ve installed Edirol but itā€™s not in the browser in Studio one although it finds when scanning plugins. This looks good to use with Scaler, nice and simple like me :joy:. Iā€™m using Artist 5.

1 Like

It is 32 bit, so is your DAW able to manage it directly?
otherwise, you need iBridge

I bought EW Pop Brass, and it was the worst lemon in 2022 because itā€™s very hard to use, itā€™s not MMO (like Edirol at least), the riffs are fixed (uneditable) and not so many as one may believe, and I cannot resell it, nor giving it away for free YUK!

So I could advise anyone trying the demo before

Just found out studio one 5 doesnā€™t support 32 bit so looks like the work round with iBridgešŸ˜„

I think you can try the iBridge demo, so you can understand if the whole workaround is worthy

1 Like