A Section with Single Notes Not Copied to Pattern?

I notice that if the A Section has single notes and chords and all are selected only the chords are copied to a pattern. Single notes are not copied or taken into account with a “Rest.”

If I want single notes in a pattern to match those in the A Section I must create a chord in the Pattern Scaler calls “Unison.”

Request and/or Bug Fix: I’d like Scaler to Copy Single Notes to Patterns if they are selected in the A section and create Unisons in the Pattern.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

It’s not a bug. Scaler is designed for chords - notes played together to make a chord which means more then 2 notes. It also does not analyze timing information so having it put in a rest for what is probably a passing tone doesn’t really make sense.

It may not be a “bug” but it certainly is a valid feature request. Scaler correctly calls a chord with one note a Unison, which is the correct, valid name for a single note taking the place of a chord. In other words a chord can be a single note.Therefore if a single note is present in the A section it should be copied to a C Section pattern as a Unison. This lack of functionality makes for extra work for the user that wouldn’t be necessary if single notes were copied to patterns as a Unison (chord).

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I think your suggestion is perfectly valid, and I have had problems with this, but I can’t quite agree with the concept of a one note chord.

Every definition I can find has something typically like “the simultaneous sounding of a group of musical notes, usually three or more in number”. Similarly all the definitions of “unison chord” or “unison” are in terms of intervals e.g. two or more notes an octave apart.

I think the triadic definition is often used because it is usually the basic element for assigning a key. and in particular the essential tonality if a third is present., but I think it would maybe be hard for Scaler to determine key (and certainly not the mode, by definition) ) from a series of notes.

However, this comment may be possibly one of those annoying “no nit too small to pick”, navel focused, semantic responses, and I understand what you are saying, and have no reason to take issue with that and apologise for my ‘head in butt’ thought …

1 Like

Scaler is mostly about multi-note Chords but it can also play single notes. When a single note is used in place of a standard chord – two or more notes sounded together – I call that a “Unison” and so does Scaler. Btw, see my other post in bug reports for the bug I identified and for which a patch is in the works. I find single note Unison “chords” to be a very useful feature of Scaler and I look forward to the patch that will make it work correctly.

I have to bow to your understanding of the terminology here. Scaler does say ‘Unison’ when a single note is entered (‘unison’ is not mentioned in the manual) but I’ve never thought of one note as a ‘chord’… My take on ‘Unison’ was from fiddling with my Oberheim Matrix 1000, in which it was referred to as two oscillators de-tuned by a few cents either at the same pitch or as octaves.

Putting in various notes serially into scaler can produce some odd hit and miss derivations of key (and it depends on the sequence of the notes, which it should not do - not all sequences start the root - and I discovered the charming “G#?” , (which I couldn’t play on my guitar :grinning:)

Pax. I stand corrected. Anyway lets see what the team comes up with.

I love that Scaler will play Union notes in place of chords and I’m sure our most excellent developers will provide a patch to make this work better if possible. In the meantime, my work around is to use an Octave chord where a Unison note is needed. This way the bug of Unison Notes dropping out of a pattern after a Project is saved and later re-opened is avoided. It’s easy enough to mute the extra note for now.

Individual notes in patterns is very useful. The individual notes can be chord tones of a strummed chord. By using Performance Timing settings, individual notes could be, for example, two 16th notes followed by a strummed chord on the upbeat – (that’s how this whole thing started). :slight_smile:

Thanks for your good posts on the forums. I’m always glad to share ideas and thoughts about using this this amazing musical companion, Scaler.

1 Like

Yes, that’s another common use of “Unison” but in that case we’re talking about synthesis and adding “Unison voices” to an oscillator, which we often then “detune” and otherwise modulate with LFOs, etc.