About Keys-lock

For example, I play in scale white keys mode
This will ensure that I play the right keys correctly
But if I drag the recorded MIDI signal to other VST instruments, the performance is wrong
Because other VST instruments don’t have scale white keys mode
Is there a way:
In scaler, I played and recorded MIDI in scale white keys mode
When I drag and drop these MIDI to other VST instruments, they can also play correctly
In other words, the MIDI recorded is the correct MIDI signal, not just the correct sound

I’ve never used keys lock but it would assume it sends the correct notes out to an external instrument which would mean you can just record the output. So drag the midi you recorded in Scaler to the Scaler track. Play it back to Scaler and record the output from Scaler to a new midi track.

1 Like

You mean, let scaler become a VST background MIDI voice device
Scaler midi out
Other VST instruments MIDI in

That’s what it’s designed to do, yes.

Hi @swingmix

May I ask are you using Scaler’s Midi Capture feature to record the midi? Midi Capture will always capture the correct notes for the performance and allow you to drag and use that midi on any other instrument track in your project.

You can also route Scaler’s midi output to the midi input of other instruments to control them. (If you use Logic Pro X you have to load ‘Scaler 2 Control’ as a midi effect in the midi FX slot of the instrument you wish to control.)

Please note that if you capture midi from Scaler 2 while using a performance or active bindings, you will need to disable the binding or performance if you place the captured midi on the same Scaler 2 track (or a different track with another instance of Scaler that has active bindings/performances/keys-lock). If you do not disable bindings or performances then playback of the midi will not sound right.

See this video for an example of what happens when you use captured midi on a Scaler track without disabling keys-lock. Same applies for both bindings and performances. This also applies to instruments being controlled by a Scaler with bindings/keys-lock/performances enabled.

2 Likes

thank you very much!

This video is very short, but I learned a lot.
The more this little video, the better, and more friends can be helped

I don’t know about other DAWs but in Cubase I would just set up Scaler to route it’s MIDI output to the MIDI input of another track, either a MIDI track or an instrument track. Then I would record my actions on my MIDI keyboard to the track which Scaler is being hosted on. That should give you proper playback to another synth or instrument through Scaler. Lots of times I’ll then just record arm the instrument track which is being fed by Scaler and record Scaler’s output to the instrument track. That allows me to then use Scaler to feed another track and build up my arrangement that way. I know I could just use multiple Scalers and link them all together. But I just prefer to keep it simple and use Scaler as tool to help me build up my basic structure first. Then I disable it all together and complete my work with the new MIDI clips Scaler has created. A lot of this has to do with the fact that I will often take Scaler’s output and split it up among multiple instrument tracks. Split it up into a string quartet for example. So I don’t bother to try and do all that work with Scaler. I just get Scaler to create the chord structure and then I orchestrate from there.

Hope that helps.

1 Like

thank you,me,too. We use it almost the same way
Therefore, I always hope that there are more commonly used playing modes in Scale,
and it’s better to classify them according to music.
This can be exported quickly and used immediately.
Scale helps us to make music more quickly and let inspiration be recorded forever
I find that as I grow older, and with the trivia of my life, my inspiration will only exist for a short time. :sweat_smile: