About Neo-Riemannian

Can SecondaryDominants also be put in.
This is more convenient. Like this F
When I click F, a C7 is also shown below

what do you mean by “C7”?
I don’t see any C7 chord in your screenshot?

1 Like

I mean it should show C7 here
That is, can you show some commonly used alternative chords below.

That’s not how Neo-Riemannian works. It has a certain formula for it to behave the way it does. If you just throw in chords as you want it’s not Neo-Riemannian anymore. For what you are asking - take what you want from Neo-Riemannian then use Suggestions for other directions. Or there is nothing stopping you from adding whatever chord you want if it sounds good and sounds right. Let Scaler suggest and then use that to learn and think for yourself. That’s what makes composing fun! Enjoy the language of music!

Maybe there is something wrong with my expression. I mainly think that SCALER can produce many common chords.I said it in this thread, but no one noticed.

Josh made a nice explanatory video about that feature… Scaler 2.1 | New Modulation Preset - Neo-Riemannian - YouTube

It seems to me that there is a language barrier. I’m not always sure if you are asking a question or just showing something you discovered.

Scaler can produce all common chords. What kind of response were you looking for?

I think he is suggesting that a secondary dominant should be put in.

1 Like

Perhaps but I’m not sure Secondary Dominant chords apply directly to Neo-Riemannian triadic progressions.
I’ve struggled with this kind of thing and the way Swingmix is easily distracted from actual music theory. He explores some part of it and makes good headway towards figuring things out but then he’ll come across a completely different thread of theory and want to toss the 2 together without learning the first one completely. He has the enthusiasm but not the discipline to follow through. And with the language barrier it’s tough to steer a corrected course.

1 Like

you are right. totally agree. Actually, for music production, I am better at some lyrics.

I couldn’t remember so many chords without the help of Scaler. Therefore, I always wish SCALER was more complete.

For example, I chose C major.
Now comes C, Dm,Em ,F ,G ,Am, Bdim
But I know that other chords are often used in C major. For example, Bdim will become Bb maj , Bm7b5

There are also some commonly used alternative chords, just list the secondary dominant.

This makes it easier for me to click to try if it works.
Including descending G#maj(Am) (blocking termination) and C#maj(Dm) (Napoli)

Normally what the Scaler does when choosing a scale is to put the degrees of the scale in order.
From that scale we choose the chords that interest us.
If the chord you are looking for is not among the normal chords of the scale, you can search for them in several tabs. I leave you some screenshots with the way that I recommend for its simplicity.

1. In your example you have chosen the C major scale. You are looking for a chord that is not in that scale: Bm7b5.
    Simply write the closest match you have on the scale: Bdim
    Now go to the chords tab
  2. Within the chords tab, select the Bdim chord by clicking on the yellow right corner of the chord.
    At the top you will see the suggestions that Scaler directly offers you to change chords.
    But the chord you are looking for does not appear in the suggestions
  3. Then, directly type the name of the chord you are looking for in the search box and you will find it

I hope it helps you
2 Likes

Thank you teacher for your reply. This method is really easy to find.

I have a band in a box, I try to open the demo inside, I carefully look at the chords inside. There are many chords that are not in a scale, but are regular.
Therefore, I hope that SCALER can make a common chord table below.
What I mean is that if I choose C major, for example, there will be a set of chords in a normal scale. At the same time, the common chords in the non-scale will also appear. Or “common off-key chords”

I mainly do it for convenience, otherwise I have to type it every time. Maybe I’m too lazy. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Many years ago I tried Band in a Box.
I remember that then BandinaBox was mainly focused on jazz and improvisation.
In fact, even the examples with classical music by Beethoven, Mozart, etc. it was arranged with lots of 7th and 9th chords etc.
Perhaps you could go further by saving the Bandina chords in MIDI format and then having Scaler detect the chords from said MIDI

1 Like

OK, I’ll keep trying.
I’m currently at SCALER trying to find a chord progression first.
Then enter these in the BAND IN A BOX for a demo audition.
Finally, I’ll go and do it slowly by myself.
By watching some YouTube videos, I’ve come to understand that out-of-tune chords are very important.
Sometimes I need to change the key in SCALER, and then I have to repeatedly find common off-key chords. The main thing is that as I tried more, I found that these chords are also regular. Hopefully SCALER can improve these. This saves everyone time.