About routing for using external sound sources in Studio One

I am currently using Scaler2 with Studio One, is it possible to use external sound sources with Scaler2?

Can I route the output of Scaler 2 to another instrument?
Yes, but it depends on the ability of your DAW and the plugin format you are using.

Since the FAQ says the above, it seems technically possible.

I think I can do it by manipulating Input and Output, but don’t know how to do it. If anyone knows how to do this in Studio One, I would appreciate it.

Studio One: 5.5.2
Scaler: 2.5.0

This deals with connecting external synths to Studio One 5. Once you do that you can use Scaler to go to the external instruments.

Thank you! I apologize for the lack of information, but I would like to manipulate Scaler using other instrument sources such as Vital and SynthMaster. In that case, do I do it the same way as in the video?

Hi Lipa

1st, no apologies needed. :slight_smile: If I understand you correctly, you want to use Scaler to drive other virtual instruments. It is pretty straight forward but there are a couple little things you need to do in Studio One.

Below is a video on setting up Scaler inside of Studio one. You can jump to the time stamp 13:48 to just look at using external instruments.

A summary of the steps:

1. Drag Scaler onto a track
  2. Drag your ext. instrument (Vita) onto another track and expand to see the 4 settings fields
  3. In the settings of the track for the ext. instrument, set the 2nd field (Instrument Input) to Scaler
  4. On the ext. Instrument track Enable the Monitor icon (the one that looks a speaker)

Now you should be good. You will probably want to disable Scaler’s internal sounds by selecting None as a Scaler instrument. But don’t forget that by leaving a Scaler sound on, you can easily create some layered sounds. More in the video

Hope this helps and let us know if you are still stuck. We’ve all been there. In fact, I go there quite regularly. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hi TMacD,

I tried as you taught me, and it worked! Thank you!
I see that it is possible to layer the notes and only do the ext. instrument. I am impressed!

Also, it seems that the AU version doesn’t do it, but the VST does. Thank you very much for your kind support! You have helped me a lot!

1 Like

No worries, it is a team effort around here. Have fun!