Add Scale Automation

Plugin revolved around scales, but you can’t automate them within the plugin.

Add the ability to automate and switch between scales within Scaler, it would be an amazing feature to the plugin and really open the doors to achieving a modal sound. Would also be fun to experiment with.

3 Likes

Scaler is a midi effects plugin.

Automation can be via midi which is external to the plugin, or via live, real-time.

Numerous settings are available inside of Scalar to assist.

Watching some good videos on Scaler might really open up some doors.

There is a Videos section of the forum that would help a lot.

I know what you mean, @soulslo.

It is not quite as straight forward as you desire, but in the interrim, there’s a way to “automate” scale selection. Just drag the desired scales into respective patterns. Create one Pattern for each scale you desire to remote access (“automate”) via midi key.

Then you can associate a midi key (known as “remote octave” in other midi tools) with each pattern, like so…

5 Likes

I agree with the OP @soulslo . It would be great to be able to automate the scale until the day we have some type of “chord scales” designation. Ideally we could tie the scale lock to the chord changes and it happen dynamically.

There are plenty of times when you are modulating where you want be able to have scaler shift from say C Major to C Minor/Mixolydian, etc. The above workaround allows you to jump between keys and play chords from different scales, but not jump between all the individual notes of both full scales (in say a “key’s lock” scale mode, for example).

3 Likes

What a great idea, Bernd! Thanks for this.

Would kill for this feature. Was the main thing I was looking for when I purchased Scaler

Bernd,

Hi, very good post. Thanks.

I’m still relatively new to Scaler. I was a bit confused how keys are assigned to chords. I loaded a pattern preset into the A Section, dragged it to Pattern 1. Then I loaded another Preset and Dragged that to Pattern Two. However, the bound keys were the same, until, I selected both Patterns in the Edit Mode. It’s so easy to have multiple scales and chord patterns in Scaler. It’s an ingenious system.

So, if a Verse is in Bb and the Bridge is in C Minor, or whatever, by using the patterns and the bound keys, you get a tremendous head-start with creating interesting parts.

I like the OP’s idea, but, imho, there’s a clarity to the current design I’d hate to see made more complex. Your suggestion and thinking this out, for me, solves the question – a good question :slight_smile: – regarding “automatic scales.”

For the OP, I’ve found that in Edit Mode with multiple patterns selected it’s possible to do almost exactly what you’re asking for as suggested. If not exact, it’s very close to it. More “AI” kind of scale assignments might be interesting. I use the old Lydian Chromatic Concept and would love a “plug in” for that so Scaler would know to use this scale with that chord. There’s lots of ways this could be part of future iterations of the program.

Thanks for the good ideas on this.