Any iZotope Neutron 3 users?

Hi there!,

Do any of you guys use Neutron 3 for mixing? If so, how do you feel about it?
Do you find it makes the whole production process easier?

I had been using Neutron 3, but I just splashed out and got Ozone 9 Advanced, which is pretty impressive. You can use reference tracks to set the type of mix sound you want, for example, and adjust characteristics of instrument classes in final mixed audio (!). It’s mix analysis (“AI driven”) is good and it has great loudness maximisation both “Olde Skool” and LUFS wise.

So I continue to use Neutron 3 on tracks, and Ozone on the mix, and that seems a nice combination. I like Neutron because it’s nice and simple for tracks.

2 Likes

I’ve always loved Neutron for voice. It’s a master for film dialog which is my main reason for using it.

2 Likes

Do you find it makes the whole production process easier?

Yes, I think so, but I am not a professional, so my mileage is certainly different

Anyway, I cannot live without it and the number of tools that work together (Relay, Ozone, Visual mixer, etc.)

BTW, I recently bought also Nectar with Melodyne
and even VocalSynth 2 that is a lot of fun

1 Like

Are you using Neutron 3 at the sound design stage or mixing? or both? And I thought Ozone was strictly for the Mastering stage?

This is what I had read at least.

When you use the Ai Assistant, how do you find that your mix ends up? Do your sounds get all thrown off? Some louder then others or lower?
Do you still end up having to make further adjustments to the mix or does the Ai work it’s magic good enough?

Well first of all I should state that I am a ‘bedroom’ dabbler with little understanding of my actions.
I have been using Neutron 3 (in a sort of lite version which was on offer at Plugin Boutique) just on channels when mixing. This is mostly the equalizer and compressors. Because of the presets it’s easier than maybe using some of the Live effects, and you do get a good visualisation of the spectrum.

Ozone 9 is as you stated, is intended as a mastering application, which is the way in which I have used it so far, on he final mix. The maximiser seems to be much more effective than others I have used.
However, I only bought it last week and am still looking at the “how to use” videos.

Prior to that, I had started using BX-masterdesk (another Plugin Boutique give away), and also Zynaptiq https://www.zynaptiq.com/ , which is more of a ‘fairy dust’ tool like an SPL Vitaliser.

1 Like

So far, my experiments have largely been when using a reference track, and the results have been pleasing. The only other product I have used in this mode is https://www.har-bal.com/ and Ozone is a huge advance on that.

Early days, and there is quite a bit to get my head round

1 Like

Yes, I have been using izotope Neutron 3 for the past year and recently upgraded to Neutron 4. I place it on each instrument track and it quickly provides eq, saturation and compression settings that are workable, after which I can adjust until content. I also use Ozone 9 on the master buss, which has AI settings for many effects modules including a limiter. I particularly like using the imager module on Ozone 9. It really pulls out the stereo effect. But the most important piece of this group is the Tonal Balance module which measures your track’s frequency spread in relation to music type. This has been integrated into Neutron 4 to some extent. The worst part about using Izotope products is that you don’t use the other 30 tools that you already own…

1 Like

About Neutron (the mixing tool) I was satisfied at the beginning, but after a few months I started to select other presets, and maybe that in the long time my own AI will prevail, who knows?

About Ozone (the mastering tool) I am always satisfied, but as I said I am not a Pro, so maybe I am just easy to satisfy :grin:

1 Like

thanks to mention it
It is very useful, together with Visual Mixer
but also the lite version of Melodyne should be mentioned

BTW, I acquired the first of their tools using a Loyalty Offer, and this just because I downloaded in the past their free Vocal doubler :astonished: :grin:

1 Like

I forgot to mention that all Izotope’s communicate with each other, and this is a very useful in the mixing process at the beginning, where you don’t know what are you doing, and applying an effect to one instrument can affect another or the whole mix

2 Likes

I use iZotope products since about six or seven years, starting with their Essential bundle from Plugin Boutique and about 2 years ago I bought Tonal Balance Bundle including Ozone 9 Advanced, Nectar 3, Neutron 3 and Tonal Balance Control 2.
In my workflow, Neutron goes to my vocal and guitar tracks. I rarely use it in Master Track, but that’s where I always put Neutron Visual Mixer. This module gives me perfect balance of power for each instrument, and Ozone stand-alone is my mastering tool. Similar to Claudio, I am not a pro, but I tweak the final results of AI treatment by using the options in each module e.g. in Equalizer, Compressor or so.

1 Like

I just wonder where to find some good reference track.

yes, indeed, I remember I read it in the manual, but never tested
maybe it should be any song in the genre you want emulating?

I use Neutron 4 (was 3) for mixing and Ozone 9 on the master track. I have the entire Izotope Production Suite (got it on sale), so I also have Neoverb, Trash, Vinyl and all of the other playtoys. I find the mix assistants and mastering assistants give a great start to the mixing and mastering processes, especially for us armchair producers. Izotope has plenty of instructional YT videos and articles to help you out. Follow them on IG for quick tips. I know they aren’t the only game in town (ie, the Fab line), but they work great for me.

1 Like

In fact, I have an idea. I believe it could be any song e.g. Comfortably Numb LOL, in any lossless format. Oh, my new PC does not have CD/DVD player any more to rip. Ah, not bad, I still have my old one that does :grin:

1 Like

This is exactly what it’s for. You choose music you like to use for EQ, loudness, etc.

1 Like

You place the Neutron Mother Ship on all your tracks?! Doesn’t it bog down your computer? I thought the Mother ship was only to be used on the Master and the relays on each track.
I’ve tried tonal balance, Neutron 4 has it built in now. It’s an excellent tool.

1 Like

Go on Yandex.com, Search song wav or flac. I am positive you’ll find reference tracks.

1 Like