Best MIDI Keyboard for controlling Scaler?

How many have you auditioned so far ? :slight_smile:

I did have an analogue rack mount Oberheim Matrix 1000 (essentially a Matrix 6) which had 1000 pre-sets (trivial now, but a lot then) and the problem was that after listening to about patch 300, Iā€™d forgotten what patch 1 sounded likeā€¦

2 Likes

And 23900 more than you need :rofl:

I need every single one of them, in fact, I need even more :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Canā€™t tell from here, since I did most of the curation on my main PC, which is still in Portland. I havenā€™t figured out a way to transfer my curation (starred, liked flags) to the laptop. But over the 4 years I had it, perhaps 20%? Part of the joy is ongoing discover, to never be finished with finding more interesting presets, and learn from them how to program the synths. I also create ensembles that modulate the preset via MIDI program change and bank select messages, meaning I switch the presets in realtime during performance, not me manually, but through DAW automations, LFOs and suchā€¦ Lots of aleatoric fun to be had :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You remind a friend of mine that had a collection of CDs so large he would be never able to listen all the songs in 2 livesā€¦

When asked the same question, he replied he listened just 5 minutes for each song, and even that way he was still unable to listen everythingā€¦ :rofl:

about an upgrade for me, I am thinking to a weighted keyboard, notably the Roland A-49, but I am still unsure if that feature is of any use for mousiers that arenā€™t piano playersā€¦ :thinking:

I hope that somebody good at pianos can explain

The general idea of having more stuff than you could possiobly listen to, is to have a radio station effect, minus the repeating songs. I also have some 10TB of downloaded music (acquired legally online by recording internet radio stations 24/7). I will also never get to listen to all songs there, but I can put it on random shuffle and I get a never ending stream of new music :slight_smile: As a person, I am more likely to get bored than overwhelmed with novelty. So it suits my style to have an endless repository of musical possibilities, and I have ways to automatically discover it via my random MIDI bank select/program change method. So there is method to this madness, LOL

1 Like

I curate them, tag them with labels and colors and descriptions meaningful to me

From all the review videos Iā€™ve watched, so far the Novation SL 61 Mk3 seems the most appealing to me.

1 Like

This is exactly what did my friendā€¦
but he did it during the night as well, with a timer that stopped the stream after a certain time
:rofl:

Hi @Bernd ,

OK, finally I bought KeyLab MK2. Exceptional quality. The keybed is phenomenal and the feeling is great. Completely integrated with Reaper and a few more DAWs (Ableton, Logic Pro X, Pro Tools, Cubase, Studio One).
I mentioned the integration with Reaper because this is the one I use and I always struggled to make it work with any kind of controllers. As I mentioned - KL MK2 is completely integrated i.e. knobs, faders, transport, banks, everything works just fine.

@davide

Not sure that we discuss about the same thing, but in case it is the same, this is my experience.
I was able to send USB notes from Reaper to my Volca Keys HW synth. First, be sure that the Global Setting USB to MIDI Out is set to ā€œOnā€ in Arturia MIDI Control Center. This can be also checked and set by using the jogwheel/center knob. For details see Keylab MK2 User Manual.
Maybe this is DAW-related, but I just created a MIDI track without a VST and rerouted to an audio track. When I played, I heard my HW synth. I recorded a few MIDI notes and then started ā€œplayā€ in Reaper and the sound of my KORG Volca FM came from the audio track. Of course, I was able to record this as audio recording. I am convinced that this can be done in other DAWs, maybe just using different method for rerouting. And, of course, this works with Scaler on MIDI track.

1 Like

If you can, try to play the 88-key version in person.
The action is a bit stiff (more so than Kronos, Montage, Fantom keybeds).
Otherwise, itā€™s a great controller.
Iā€™d like to see Yamaha, Roland, Korg, etc release a top-notch MIDI controller with the best keybed and controllers available.
Something equal to the best workstation keyboards/controllers
It would be expensiveā€¦ but it would last 10-20 years.

I prefer 8 Best 88-Key Weighted Keyboards (Fall 2022) ā€“ Reviews & Buying Guide weighted key system over Rolandā€™s (I think Roland makes the best electronic drums). Itā€™s really hard to go wrong with Yamaha products, whether youā€™re looking for a keyboard, drums, guitar, speaker monitor.

BTW, I am asking to myself, and to keyboardists here, why the keyboard ergonomics in this videos is so bad

As far as I remember, hands and arms must be relaxed while tickling ivories (like using your mouse BTW) so having the keyboard way higher than elbows seems not a better choice

about an upgrade for me, I am thinking to a weighted keyboard, notably the Roland A-49, but I am still unsure if that feature is of any use for mousiers that arenā€™t piano playersā€¦

and about my old question, can somebody enlighten me?
A mousier like me will have real advantages form a weighted keyboard?

Are you used to playing a real piano? People that come from a piano background really want the feel of a piano keyboard. Is that the feel you want/are used to? Iā€™m not a piano player but I would love a good weighted keyboard. It feels like you are really playing something.