C lydian mode = G major scale

I just found out today that C lydian mode is G major mode

I only knew C mjaor = A minor before

Because I don’t know lydian, Dorian, Phrygian, mixolydian, Locrian.

Is there a teacher who can briefly talk about other relationships?

If you take any diatonic scale, playing each note from progressive starting points in the scale will result in all 7 modes of the scale.
So C major (Ionian) is

C D E F G A B
start from D and you get

D E F G A B C (which is D Dorian) and so on
E F G A B C (E Phyrgian)
F G A B C D (F Lydian)
G A B C D E (G Mixolydian)
A B C D E F (A Aeolian
B C D E F G (B Locrian)

which is why C major (1st degree) uses the same notes as A minor, the 6th degree.

So taking your question about C lydian ; C lydian is an ionian scale with a raised 4th i.e
C D E F# G A B
If we played those notes starting on G, we’d have

G A B C D E F# which is (ta dah!) G major.

Once you get your head round the idea of ‘modes’ , you will get to see the relationships quickly.

4 Likes

Very well explained, Yorkeman.
So that later they say that the theory is difficult. That’s how simple and easy the modes work. Thanks

thank you very much!!!

After my understanding. I only know that the chord progression that Mixolydian best embodies the characteristics of Mixolydian is 1 -7 -4- 1

What are the chord progressions that best embody the characteristics of Dorian, Phyrgian, and Lydian?Is it convenient to tell me together.
thanks

When you are looking at series of chords there are various clues which hint to an appropriate mode to use. [Guitarists naturally tend to think in ‘modes’ …I’ve no idea about keyboard players as I am strictly a one finger man with the ivories.]

Mixolydian
If you see a dominant seven chord in a progression, that’s a hint at Mixolydian. So in C Mixolydian, the key note is the bB i.e. the dominant seventh i.e. C D E F G A bB. A C7 chord is C E G bB, so that fits well. So you would see progressions like C-bB-F-C or C-Gm-F-C.

Phrygian
This is pretty easy since this mode is the only one with a flat second (other than Locrian, which is neither major nor minor). The sound is very distinctive, and has a ‘Spanish’, flamenco type vibe.
So in C, a progression which has bD in would yell ‘Phrygian!’ e.g. Cm-bD-Cm -bBm.

Dorian
This is the ‘brightest’ of the minor modes, so has a ‘jazzy’, slightly ambiguous, feel. A progression might be Cm-Em- F-F

2 Likes

Thank you so much. I will go to youtube to find some teaching videos myself.
I found that many Japanese video games I played in the past were actually made of these keys