Can Scaler recognize chords played from Midi Controller's Chord pads?

I want to buy Scaler but want to know the answer to this question first. I use a Korg M3 88 weighted keyboard as one of my main midi controller that has 8 chord pads on the front of keyboard keys. I love this unit as I use the 8 pads on the front to play random chords that are linked to chords in the internal Korg M3 sound bank/patch. I can press any one of 8 pads and a different chord is played. Very fast to put together chord ideas. So my big question is-- if I press one pad and it plays a chord, will Scaler interpret the chord since I am only pressing 1 pad on the midi controller Korg M3 and not pressing multiple piano keys on the keyboard? This feature is priceless-- to quickly see the chord— and I would pay any price to have an option see a guitar fret board that shows variations of how that chord can be played on a guitar in multiple positions. I consult with schools and colleges with electronic music departments that are always looking for integrated production tools that enhance the digital composition work flow processes as well as working in educational tools where students can learn the music theory faster with immediate results within different DAW set ups.

Yes, if the controller outputs the notes. Scaler will recognise chords from any MIDI input, and you can use the “Bind MIDI” feature to trigger complex chords by pressing only one pad

Hi Ed–

Are saying that the Bind Midi feature needs to be pressed first in my original question before playing one pad that has chords assigned on my Korg Mid Keyboard or will Scaler recognize the chords in any mode?

1. What are the main applications and purpose for the Bind Midi feature.

2. Is there any future updates or new products where Scaler or other product could recognize guitar chords and map to keyboard and or show alternative chord voicings on both keyboard and piano

3. Could a Midi Guitar work as a controller with Scaler and recognize chords and show the notes on keyboard?

Rodger

Scaler always analyses the MIDI signal you send it.

1. The Bind MIDI allows you to map one MIDI note to a chord.
    It will “assign” the chords of your choice in Scaler to the white notes of the keyboard so you can trigger them with one key (or pad, in you case). It seems to be similar to what you are already doing with your controller except the chords are mapped in Scaler.

2. Scaler can do this but you have to input the chord on the guitar by clicking on the note. We are working on audio detection but at the moment, it is still a long way from being ready.

3. I haven’t tried personally but if you have a MIDI output, Scaler will be able to detect chords. I don’t know how “clean” the output of MIDI Guitar is, but it should work.

Hi Ed–

The auto detection will be is a great technology feature that can enable Scaler to potentially be worth much more to users. I would easily pay a much higher cost as many of my clients to have this feature where Scaler sees guitar chords and names them and can transpose the chords onto keyboard diagram and also with feature of seeing the chord played in many other voicings on a guitar fretboard diagram. Are these guitar to keyboard features, something that your development dept is looking at with future audio detection technology?

It seems like there could be a separate Piano Scaler and Guitar Scaler product with a premium product that features both. I work and consult with colleges and schools in music scoring, film scoring, song productions, post productions in the colleges departments. I consult with the manufacturers of integrated production tools that enhance the digital composition work flow processes as well as working in educational tools where students can learn the music theory faster with immediate results within different DAW set ups.

If you could forward my email address to your director of marketing, I would like to share other pertinent information with your marketing director. The Scaler product has amazing potential for expansion and larger market demand in professional educational audio production applications. BIAB, Graphtech, Roland and Godin’s 13 pin midi guitar applications would be very interested in your Guitar Scaler product and Piano Scaler product in the educational pilot programs I am developing.

Rodger Dewey, media_production@sbcglobal.net