Cannot install 2.7.0 update on macOS Ventura

The installer just says that it fails, and nothing more. I don’t know how to debug this.

I also tried removing the existing installation, but that didn’t help.

Update

There is an error log under Window > Installer Log:

Nov  4 18:23:13 kn-macbook-air Installer[12808]: Failed to load specified background image
Nov  4 18:23:28 kn-macbook-air installd[2868]: PackageKit: ----- Begin install -----
Nov  4 18:23:29 kn-macbook-air installd[2868]: PackageKit: Install Failed: Error Domain=PKInstallErrorDomain Code=110 "An error occurred while extracting files from the package “6440_Scaler-2.7.0.pkg”." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=An error occurred while extracting files from the package “6440_Scaler-2.7.0.pkg”., NSURL=file:///Users/alinz/Downloads/6440_Scaler-2.7.0.pkg#Scaler2.pkg, PKInstallPackageIdentifier=com.tonicbits.pkg.Scaler2, NSUnderlyingError=0x116175be0 {Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 "archive open failed" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Users/alinz/Downloads/6440_Scaler-2.7.0.pkg, NSFileOwnerAccountID=501, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=18611785, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777229, NSFileSize=1452750322, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=20, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=alinz, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileCreationDate=2022-11-04 15:21:49 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTypeRegular, NSFileProtectionKey=NSFileProtectionCompleteUntilFirstUserAuthentication, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName=staff, NSFileReferenceCount=1, NSFileModificationDate=2022-11-04 15:22:42 +0000, NSLocalizedDescription=archive open failed}}} {
	    NSLocalizedDescription = "An error occurred while extracting files from the package \U201c6440_Scaler-2.7.0.pkg\U201d.";
	    NSURL = "file:///Users/alinz/Downloads/6440_Scaler-2.7.0.pkg#Scaler2.pkg";
	    NSUnderlyingError = "Error Domain=PKXARArchiveErrorDomain Code=101 \"archive open failed\" UserInfo={NSURL=file:///Users/alinz/Downloads/6440_Scaler-2.7.0.pkg, NSFileOwnerAccountID=501, NSFileHFSTypeCode=0, NSFileSystemFileNumber=18611785, NSFileExtensionHidden=false, NSFileSystemNumber=16777229, NSFileSize=1452750322, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountID=20, NSFileHFSCreatorCode=0, NSFileOwnerAccountName=alinz, NSFilePosixPermissions=420, NSFileCreationDate=2022-11-04 15:21:49 +0000, NSFileType=NSFileTypeRegular, NSFileProtectionKey=NSFileProtectionCompleteUntilFirstUserAuthentication, NSFileGroupOwnerAccountName=staff, NSFileRefere
Nov  4 18:23:29 kn-macbook-air Installer[12808]: Install failed: The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.
Nov  4 18:23:29 kn-macbook-air Installer[12808]: Displaying 'Install Failed' UI.
Nov  4 18:23:29 kn-macbook-air Installer[12808]: 'Install Failed' UI displayed message:'The Installer encountered an error that caused the installation to fail. Contact the software manufacturer for assistance.'.

I downloaded the setup a third time from pluginboutique and it still is corrupt. Here’s its md5 hash:

MD5 (6440-Scaler-2.7.0.pkg) = cc44dcaf1eda471cc217636bc3faf71f

The same happens with the 2.6.0 installer. I guess it’s not compatible with macOS 13.0 Ventura.

2.7 Installs fine for me and a few others in Ventura. That installer file name does not look right.

This is what I got from pluginboutique. Is there another source for the downloader?

I was able to install Scaler manually by extracting the package contents using Suspicious Package | Download & Install. I also downloaded the package from pluginboutique again and is still the same file (6440-Scaler-2.7.0.pkg).

I have exactly the same problem and tried the same as the original poster. I also tried to reinstall v2.5 which also did not work anymore… this seems to be a MacOS Ventura issue (previously installed Scaler 2.5 with the same installer under the previous major version of MacOS without issues with the same installer file.

WORKING WORKAROUND UNTIL INSTALLER GETS UPDATED:
Ok so today I got a response from Plugin Boutique telling me that Scaler 2 does not support MacOS Ventura until a next release and that I am a fool that I did not wait 12 months before updating to the new OS. Unfortunately I am an apple developer so that “resolution” is not an option.
What I experienced that the previously successfully installed 2.5 installer also failed, while Scaler 2.5 actually worked on MacOS Ventura until I upgraded.
Call me a fool, but I deducted that it was therefore probably the INSTALLER PACKAGE itself that failed to execute on MacOS Ventura. So what I did (this is NO ADVICE, so don’t blame me if the universe explodes when you do this!!) was I installed via a terminal window:

1. open a terminal in Utilities
  2. go to Downloads folder or any location where the Scaler 2.7.0 installer is
  3. sudo installer -verbose -pkg ./6439_Scaler-2.7.0.pkg -target /
  4. this completed successfully.

SCALER 2.7.0 is now running in my Logic installation completely flawless in MacOS Ventura…

Enjoy!!

PS: not my own invention, I used: Install with Pkg file failed | MacRumors Forums

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, as I mentioned I was able to install on Ventura no issue. Our lead developer @Ed1 is probably best to comment here.

Hey @davide thanks for taking time to comment on this! Based on my experience it seems to be an installer issue and not a plugin issue. For your analysis @Ed1 I am working on a Mac Studio M1 with Scaler 2.5 previously successfully installed under Monterey. Installer of 2.5 and 2.7 failed under Ventura after update.
The terminal solution as described above worked right away… If you please you may contact me.

Hi @Subotix

this looks like a file permission issue. It seems to happen with various installers.
Have you tried to move the installer to another folder? Try to move it to the desktop and open it from there. The system should prompt you to allow access to the desktop folder.

You can also have a look in the System Preferences under Security and Privacy, Files and Folder and see if you can allow the installer to access the Downloads folder manually.

The fact that you can install it with elevated privileges (what “sudo” does) means it is most likely just a permission issue.

Like @davide, I was able to install on macOS Ventura on an M1 machine.

Hi @Ed1 yeah I understand your analysis. I am afraid though that I just used a standard migration from the previous MacOS to Ventura, which apparently changed my default settings to the default Ventura security & privacy settings. Might be something to add to the install instructions if this cannot be fixed in the installer…?

Ok so @Ed1 you were completely right on the Security settings. I needed to give Installer Full Disk Access in the settings and right after that it installed successfully via GUI (see screenshot).
I hope there is a programmatically way of doing this in the installer package, cause I imagine not all users will feel confident changing these settings… just wanted to finalise the test on your suggestions. Cheers and thanks for your assistance!