Can't set key switch for scales or in fact anything in Scaler 2

Hi, I am right clicking to set a keyswitch, I can see Scaler 2 is receiving midi and works for everything else but when I press a key on the computer keyboard or on the midi keyboard neither get a response so I can’t set the keyswitch. All other plugins having no problems so seems to be scaler, anyone else having this?

Cheers, Steve.

You can set a switch using the computer keyboard or MIDI CC controller. You can’t set a MIDI key.
To set a key on computer keyboard -

1. Right click on Scale you want controlled

2. When the prompt comes up to set a Key or MIDI, push a key on you computer keyboard (i.e. 1 on the top row)
    Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 8.52.48 AM

3. You’ll see the 1 in the prompt window.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 9.01.00 AM

4. Click on save. There will now be a green dot by the Scale name and 1 should select it. In my case here I have 1 set for Super Lorcian Dim Scale and 2 set for Half Dim Scale.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 8.53.10 AM

5. Repeat for another scale and choose a different key. Etc.

To use a MIDI CC controller -

1. Right click on Scale you want controlled

2. When the prompt comes up to set a Key or MIDI, move a CC controller on your keyboard or MIDI controller. NOTE: this is a MIDI CC controller and not a MIDI key on the keyboard.

3. You’ll see the name of the controller you moved in the prompt window.
    Screen Shot 2021-09-29 at 8.54.22 AM

4. Click on save. There will now be a green dot by the Scale name and the CC Control you chose should select it.

5. Repeat for another scale and choose a CC control, Etc.
    Make sense?
    You can also right click to set a command and when the prompt window comes up choose ADVANCED and you’ll see a list of CC Controller numbers (There are 127) and you can choose one from the list. But in this case you need to know which number your controller is sending out. If you don’t then use the previous method.

1 Like

Thanks for the response but it’s not working when I do that on the computer keyboard either, scaler just sits waiting or me to press a key, but I have already. Frustrating…

Maybe it’s a bug.

Works for me just fine. Sounds like your Keys are being block from Scaler seeing them. If you save a new Chord set can you type a name for them before you save?
You’ll need to let the Devs know your OS, computer and DAW you are using in order to sort it out.

Does it work if you move a MIDI controller like the Mod Wheel?

No, but the computer keyboard works if I use the top numerical keys, I was using the right had numerical keys on a large iMac Pro keyboard, that was the problem there, so I can at least use the scale keyswitch with the top keys now. Thanks for your help. Its not working with the midi keyboard but that may be because it’s a Moog Matriarch so not the best midi wise, will try the Komplete one later, that might work.

Thanks again,
Steve.

This is also DAW dependent. I am having a hard time getting the new Scaler MIDI key bindings to work in Bitwig, because of the way my MIDI controllers are already mapped in Bitwig via custom scripts. Also had trouble with the Captain Plugins intercepting key presses from the PC keyboard, stealing them from other plugins trying to listen. But I did eventually get the Komplete Kontrol keyboard to work with Scaler and also Maschine, just took some detours in using Bitwig’s MIDI CC device mapper. I think there is something similar for Ableton to connect to external MIDI hardware?

Qwerty Keys (all keys except the numeric keypad) work with Reaper but you need to click inside the ‘set selected scale’ box to give it focus first.

Likewise, you need to click on the scaler instance for the keyswitch to work when you’re playing…

1 Like