Captain chord Epic

It has been discussed before, suggesting that SCALER can also be classified in this way.
just discuss.
If you think it is inappropriate, you can ask the administrator to delete it.

As I said, I was curious, rather than making any value judgement about the post per se.
Other products like BIAB , Captain, etc have been often cited here, but generally in the context of comparison of features, and of course many products are mentioned with regard to co-existence with Scaler.

I just wasn’t sure what the message was supposed to be in relation to Scaler.

1 Like

If the scaler’s performance mode can be classified according to music, it may be much more convenient. A little advice.
Of course, maybe SCALER 3.0 has a better way.

Now I’m completely confused.

As you know well, Scaler offers multiple ‘songs’ which are chordal progressions categorised by musical genre. Just like Captain it has a category called “House”, and of course many others which parallel Captain classifications.

Performances, however’ as a fundamental part of Scaler design can be applied to ANY song/progression. They are ipso facto genre independent. They are of course categorised into what might be described as ‘interpretations’ or ‘expressions’. You might not like the Italian, but Google will tell you that (for example) ‘Lento’ is “a passage or movement marked to be performed slowly”.
So, when you say the the performances should be classified ‘according to music’, they already are; but not by genre, but by expression.

The expressions are not related to nor restricted by a musical genre; you can play a ‘Blues’ song/progression Lento or you can play a ‘Pop Ballad’ slowly. It is clear that a performance therefore is not related to ,nor can it be, a genre.

If Scaler took your “advice” and sought to instead categorise performances by song style you would have a drop down for performances which mirrored the drop down for songs (EDM, House ,Pop etc)…So what would result from applying a “Gospel” performance to a “Metal” song ?

I could couch this argument in terms of set theory by saying the union of two identical sets is one set to show that you could thus dispense with ‘Performances’ altogether.

I wouldn’t see that as a step forward for Scaler 3.

5 Likes

I think SCALER is not only a professional chord tool, SCALER is also a software for understanding music.
If you can write BASS, rhythm, and RIFFS according to music classification, it will make beginners quickly understand the structural characteristics of each music genre.
Everything is now reserved. I don’t deny it.
Just do one for dance or modern music.
Of course, this is just my suggestion, even if SCALER doesn’t do anything, I’m satisfied. In fact, SCALER 1.0 is already very good. SCALER can help me find chords, and I’m very satisfied with that.

Is this an age or background and training thing?

@yorkeman and I are both of a similar generation (@yorkeman you are still “Father of the Board”) and I suspect learned our music in a more traditional or theory based manner.

1 Like

I never learned music in a formal way.
Music production is my hobby.
And I’m more into electronic music.
But I don’t exclude those musical sensations that BIAB generates.
All in all, I’m very dependent on software, and I don’t know how to play guitar or keyboard. but i will use the mouse :grinning:

Hey that’s great.

You may find it helpful to do a little bit of theory at some point as it may help you creatively. You may become less dependent on the software as you will be able to learn the relationships between the chords for harmonies.

For example, as a general guide, moving from one chord to another if the second chord contains two notes from the first chord then the move sounds easy (e.g C - to E min: C is C E G and E min is E G B).

1 Like

Yes, I didn’t know that before. But I learned this through this function of SCALER.
This function is designed according to this principle. Makes it easier for me to find some chords.
In addition to chords, how to edit chords is actually very knowledgeable. It’s a different type of music, a different rhythm. So I hope SCALER will one day perfect this aspect.

I have to say that they made me a very good offer to update the Captain plugins, but I did not do it because, although it includes the improvements that you have mentioned, it has made the tab that I had in the previous version (the one that I am still using) disappear to place user chords and their inversions.
I still really like Captain Deep (for bass lines) and Captain Beat (for lots of drum options). And I like Captain Melody too, although I have to do many, many tests to find something that fits my music. But it’s Captain Chords himself (on which all the others depend) that I don’t like so much, especially now that he won’t let me put the chords to my liking.

To be clear, I don’t have a problem as such with the Captain set, and, indeed, upgraded to Epic myself recently. Also, like @swingmix , I have had BIAB for many many years, and I have acknowledged that it has a large range of good functions.
Neither now fit what I want to get out of music (whereas Scaler does) but that’s an entirely personal view and others will have a perfectly valid assessment of BIAB and Captain.

In my original post, I was seeking to understand what Scaler point @swingmix was making, as it was just a screenshot of Captain. His response, which I didn’t understand, (potentially my failing) seemed to me by any rational analysis to be logically unsound. I can see and acknowledge his preferences generally for product functions, but the proposed idea was inconsistent (IMHO) with the evident structure of Scaler.

However, each to his own, but I acknowledge his posts on ease of use and ‘UX’ (I believe the current term is…) are conceptually intrinsically valid.

1 Like

When different programs were raised here again. I also bring up a page with Hookpad. Too bad it can’t be used as a DAW. It would be a “Deadly” machine, at least for yourself and many others. It’s a bit clumsy to use through a website. By the way, it’s a great tool for music theory and chords, and best of all, it’s somehow much better at creating a melody with it. The good thing about Scaler is that I experiment with chords. Somehow only with Hookpad you can get better melodies even if you make them yourself.

1 Like

I believe that every program I have come across in my life has its good and bad points: one will be good at “A” and another at “B”, but I have yet to find a program that is good at everything it claims to be. I believe in the old adages; “you can’t please all of the people all of the time”, and “if you try to please eveyone you will end up pleasing no-one”. And this applies to software as much as anywhere else.

For users such as @swingmix I believe that programs such as Captain Chords or Band In A Box are good if they want to produce instant music.

Scaler, on the other hand, offers more options for creativity, but it does help to have a bit of music theory (not a lot) such as understanding the circle of fifths, intervals, and the degrees of the scale. This may reduce the time spent on randomly trying out progressions.

Having said that one of the most important tools for composing music is your ears and how it sounds to you (IMHO).

3 Likes

Well said. Personally, that’s why I use the BIAB program very little these days, because what I do with it doesn’t sound to me but to someone else. With Scaler, when I start composing, even if I use some of the finished stuff, it still sounds like its own in the end. Scaler has at least been one of the best programs I’ve ever gotten my hands on. That chord alone is great, even though I have some basic knowledge of music theory, but that gives me a lot more and deeper knowledge. I find it fun to listen to different chords and try to get them to sound like a chord.

1 Like

I’m the same: I have a little theory which I believe greatly enhances my use of Scaler. And I am learning alot using Scaler.

Dear teacher, I have a doubt, just to ask you.
I have already upgraded to Epic, so can the old version of the Captain plugin be deleted?

In addition to generating wav, BIAB can also generate midi.
So, I often drag and drop the MIDI produced by BIAB, and then modify it.

I updated to Captain Epic hoping its going to improve…I’ve been disappointed again. The only useful part of Captain (for me anyway) is Captain Melody. It does a decent job of creating a melody idea to work on/smooth out but the controls for that are not really intuitive. Scaler is by far the easiest to use tool to create a chord progression and get a musical idea pointed in the right direction. Its also a great theory teacher for those of us who are deficient in that skill.

2 Likes

I assume so, as the ‘links’ are in different folders
captain

However
1 Mixedin Key don’t install to standard folders
2 Although it seems as though they are dll’s, they are only 16kb, and so are clearly not. They are probably links to al the stuff in these directories
mik

It’s not the normal situation as much of the processing seems to be in the cloud.

However - due warning -

• I haven’t tried uninstalling the old version yet
  • I may be (and am frequently) wrong.

I’ll try it after my next image backup and let you know.

1 Like

thanks!!

I understand.
So, I am always stuck in use.
because of network problems. The manipulation experience of CAPTAIN chords is not good.