Chord Analyzer Big window, more intuitive scale navigation

hello. I am a user of your great plugin, Scaler2.

I mainly use Scaler2 as a chord track and to check the scalability of the chords I use.

I use Ableton Live and Cubase alternately, but Ableton Live does not support Chord Track, so Scaler2 is very useful to me.

There are several plugins with Chord Analyzer function available on the market, but Scaler2 was the only plugin that expressed the various voicings I pressed in the most desired direction among the plugins I used. Thanks again to all of you for developing such a wonderful plugin.

SC1 (It’s at the bottom of Post.)

This screen is how I use Chord Track in Ableton. Since Cubase’s Chord Track was very convenient, it was the result of thinking about how to implement the Chord Track on the DAW.

This was done using Ableton’s M4L.This M4L has a function to display the clip name on the screen.

SC2

As I will summarize again below, I wish Scaler2 had a separate tool that only shows Chords in large window.

And… I have an additional comment, this is about scale.

I am not a musician who is skilled in music theory, so I grasp most of my work based on ‘C Key’. Strictly speaking, I identify CM7 in C Key as IM7. I’m working in the same context with other Keys.

In the case of Diatonic Chord, I do not need to know the scale. I use Scaler2 to do a modal interchange to the chords I use, or to figure out what keyscale the chords using tension come from.

1. ‘quickly’ figure out what kind of scales are available in the chords I’m using.

2. Find out what keyscale the non-diatonic chords I used came from.

SC3

Let’s take this screenshot as an example.

Purpose 1 can be accomplished very simply through the Explore Scale function.

Now, in order to accomplish purpose 2, I am trying to find out what keyscale the non-diatonic chord F#min7(b5) came from, ‘in my usual way’.

(It’s a shame, but I forget music theory so easily, so I use it this way.)

Likewise, I use the Explore Scales feature.

I’m not sure what keyscale F#min7(b5) came from, and as I said, all my work is in C key, so the flow of Explore Scale → C tab is fixed.

Then, using ‘empirical knowledge’, I select a candidate that matches my intentions from among the available scales.

SC5

So, through the screen of Scaler2, I knew that this chord uses the 4th scale of the Melodic Minor, so I reversed the relationship with the root note of the chord, and got the result ‘Aha, it’s a chord borrowed from G melodic minor’.

There may be an easier and faster way, but rather than using the various functions of Scaler, I will use the simple and useful functions I need.

Long explanation, but… So here’s what I’m looking for:

1. As mentioned earlier, I hope to have a separate tool that only shows Chords in large window

(And it would be nice if only the non-diatonic chord based on the C key or the key set by the user had a different color.)

1. It would be better if the process of finding the Keyscale of Non Diatonic Chord was more intuitive than now.

Mouse Right Click → Explore Scales → C (or any other key) → Choose available modes.

SC6

It is difficult for me and other users of Scaler2 who are not fully familiar with music theory to immediately associate Melodic Minor from the information called ‘C Acoustic Scale’.

It would be nice to have information that users can check right away in the column next to the available modes.

I don’t know if I can convey this well, I had a little bit of a weird idea, thinking of people like me who design their songs in ‘C key’. (using midi transpose function)

Suppose there is a checkbox like ‘Switch to C key or switch to Classic Chords (IM, IIm…)’ in the Scaler Plugin. and this is to simplify the functions displayed when I right-click a chord button.

So, I would be happy if I could check at a glance the available modes and the Keyscale they came from without going through ‘Explorer Chord → C’. I’m going to be able to see them with a single right click.

I’m sorry if Scaler2 already supports the same or similar functions.
And I’m sorry again, if it’s difficult to read because I’m not fluent in English.

Thank you very much for reading this long article.

Hi @nachtblau9 and welcome to the forum, thanks for the detailed thoughts and feedback. Always appreciated.