Chord Detect "Hero" View

I love the chord detection capabilities of Scaler 2 but the text is so incredibly tiny and very difficult to read. To be honest, I’m not using anything else in the plugin most of the time and I would prefer the ability to make chord detection the full size of the plugin (aka, large font display, like “in your face” size or resizable at the very least). I have it pinned in my DAW and use it to view various chords at different stages of the song and while improvising and playing live. Is it at all possible to make the detection output full size! I would be happy if this were offered as a separate plugin as well (still needs to be an instrument plugin [not an FX plugin] so I can pass MIDI through in Studio One).

Please help! My eyes… your tiny fonts… I can’t read the plugin display and all I need to see is the chord detection information!

2 Likes

Here are the lengths I’m going to see this information:

1. Max font size and resolution for the plugin
  2. Pin the plugin “always on top” and move it almost completely off screen

Check out the attached photo for an example.

Hi @alindsay55661

Interesting feature request, we had a few users asking for the ability to disable/hide the live detection. Happy to see it getting some love.

I like the fact that Scaler is always live and aware of what is happening. I think having a dedicated screen/mode for this specific use is a good idea, definitely something we will keep in mind for the next redesign.

Really? People ask to remove the chord detection feature? Wasn’t that the origin of Scaler? The main feature? I second the above request, I also use this heavily and would appreciate it being more prominently featured. Perhaps in the way some tuning plugins recognize notes from audio?

I was talking about the “live” detection, in the status bar at the top.

Not everybody needs the constant feedback, some users copy the chord names to the track etc…

Yes, same thing I meant. I guess I use this a lot to detect MIDI from external devices or complex audio/midi routing, when I don’t hear the audio yet, but I can see that notes are coming in, and whether a device is monophonic or polyphonic.

Some users already have their progression and only use Scaler to perform articulations, some users know what they are playing and mostly explore the content or the modulation screens… This is why it’s really interesting for us to get this wide range of feedback

Everybody’s workflow is different so we keep making Scaler more customizable.

1 Like

Even just a “button” or something to toggle chord detect view would be super helpful and hopefully not too difficult or disruptive to the current program (i.e. doesn’t need a redesign).

It looks like there is plenty of real-estate available when Scaler is just in “detect” mode (before record is even invoked). The help text could be consolidated and make space for a larger display of the incoming notes/chord recognition.

Currently Scaler does start out in this mode anyway until the user chooses a particular workflow, so why not more prominently display what Scaler does out of the box when started up… recognizing chords.

1 Like

FWIW, I use chord detection (midi) all the time to detect performance chords/notes Scaler is creating. It is a great way to find simple related chords and mini chord progressions that are used w/in a Scaler performance. You can quickly populate the pad view with 56 chords (related and duplicate) and then audition sequences using the preview selected chords feature. (This is also a decent workflow when you are doing an audio detection and the result is dozens of chords)

Pad populate workflow [example]

1. Select a song or scale [EDM 1]
  2. Enable a performance mode [MENO]
  3. Select all chords in section A
  4. Click and drag all the chords from Section A outside Scaler’s UI boundary BUT DO NOT DROP
  5. Drag back over Scaler and drop - select Yes (you are just loading the performance midi file but this is a little faster than saving and importing)
  6. You will now have dozens of Chords and Notes in Section A
  7. Right click between two chords in section A and select all chords [64]
  8. Right click on a selected chord and Add to Current Pattern.
  9. Now you have 7 patterns populated with 56 related (or duplicated) chords
    to play with in Pad view
  10. Bind, Click or use Play Selected to experiment.

Often I’ll use pattern 1 for the original chords and keep pattern 7 blank so I can use it as a sketch pad.

3 Likes

Hi all, just thought I would give an update on an alternative for this feature. I saw someone using it in a udemy course. It’s called Chordie App and does exactly what I am looking for. Chordie App has a giant fretboard which I don’t need and completely ignore, but the rest of it is fantastic as it shows in large text the chord you are playing and even maps notes to the staff. Super handy and would be great to see this in Scaler.

2 Likes

I do like the large display of the chord played. Great learning tool. The notes on the staff are also quite nice. The GUI on the current Scaler has no real estate for this kind of view. Maybe when they revamp the GUI at some future date.