Chord Detect Scaler - Audio

I have Cubase Pro 10.5
I have Scaler 2
I am running MacOS 10.15

What I want to do is be able to play a You Tube Music track and somehow have that audio output detected by Scaler 2 using the audio input option in Detect. Is that possible?

Hi @larryegood,

Yes, it is possible, but it requires a bit of configuration. I won’t go into specific details but I can give you some pointers:

One way would be to redirect the audio from your web browser into a “virtual output”. There is some software utility for this. Then your music software could use this virtual output as its audio source onto a track.
Finally, you load Scaler onto the track and record the audio input from the track.

I hope this helps,

If the video is of single instruments this could work. I don’t think you should expect a full band playing will result in accurate results though.

Thanks ! Makes sense

Perfect. Appreciate the reply

Hi,

I use Cubase Pro 10.0.6/Scaler 2. I’m new to Scaler, and don’t know what would happen if you played a full mixed track with the Audio Detection on.

The other method mentioned by a previous poster may be better, but here’s another suggestion to try with Cubase. I have no idea what the results will be.

First, record the track into Audacity, then select part of the song, or the whole thing, and save it was a Wave file in Audacity. Then, import that file into Cubase and experiment with Audio Detect in Scaler.

I don’t know MacOS so you may need a similar method with some other software. You can try Studio Set-up > Uncheck “Release Driver when Application is in Background.”

Anyway, it’s an interesting experiment. Let us know what the results were. I may try it myself. I think I’d try to isolate, perhaps one measure at a time, put it in a loop, and try Detect on that.

Good luck.

So, I tried my own method.

It seems identifying chords from a mixed track didn’t really work, and I understand that’s not what the plug-in is designed to do. It was still interesting to see what happened anyway.

I took Hard Day’s Night by the Beatles and Scaler could not identify the famous first chord. :wink:

As the track played in Cubase, Scaler, as an Audio Insert, was finding some correct and close chords. It also generated some interesting chords and some wild chords.

Again, obviously this is not the intended use of Audio Detection, but it might be a way of crashing out some unusual chords by accident.

In general, Audio Detection seems very good. I’ve been able to use clean guitar tracks to generate chords for progressions. Scaler’s been able to correctly identify chords, but not always the exact voicing. Good enough and very impressive, actually. If voicing identification could improve, perhaps for Guitar in particular, that would be excellent.

Take care,

Stephen

4 Likes

It’s heartening to hear this kind of feedback. Improving audio detection is always a priority and always in motion. It has improved significantly since it’s initial release with Scaler 2.0

1 Like