Congrats Italy!

A good football team is full back, very good.
With a good defender, we can support the forward

Ah yes I have a few uncles in Torino. Wonderful and underrated city I feel, really enjoyed my time there - love the Po!

She has tenuous links to England given she is born (albeit as a protestant) in Northern Ireland. I have had to explain to the children that Great Britain and the United Kingdom and England are not necessarily the same thing and generally 99.9% of every resident of Great Britain and the United Kingdom that is not English or born in England (or as a protestant in NI!) will not support England - ever. Kind of hard to explain to a 6 year old and a 7 year old but their lack of support for England and cheer for Italia seems to indicate they got it. And no, the wife did not intervene!!!

2 Likes

Bravo, bravo! The best team on the tournament won.

Ah, understood very well. My wife was born and lived until the age of 11 in Portrush NI (your wife will know it); her father was a a card carrying Orangeman. Only the Irish can understand the Irish.

I know, but my approach to the fun in sports (and other activities) is totally different, both being a performer and a member of the audience

First: I’ve never found any fun/meaning etc in competing only because of money or gold medals, because my award was and is just sporting

Second: the few cases when I competed for an amateur cup or medal, in judo, tennis, ping-pong, and football only, I always had more fun sweating blood to save a goal, to make an incisive ace, with teams/players better than me, than the opposite

So, to me teams/players with a defence approach are boring, and doesn’t matter if the team of my country wins or not because I am not a fan of my country (not mentioning politics & ethics of too-many of my fellow citizens that I hate)

1 Like

BTW, Pure fun in tennis…

Me too, Defense is annoying. For the first time in my life I cheered for Italians. Still, my all-time favorite team was Holland in the '70s. Total football. Cruyff, Neeskens & co.

1 Like

Sure, I dropped a link above about the 1974 West Germany vs Netherlands game
and I drop here another about Cruyff
:grinning:

But I also loved the funambulism of Brazilian football players, and Maradona gorgeous dribblings

1 Like

Ah yes, I remember the “hand of god” :wink:

1 Like

hahahaha, you are terrible
:grin:
Maradona made worse mistakes than that anyway, and many other players of any country did some “prank” on the football ground, but I always appreciated him for that mix of power and dribbling

In my bookmarks I had an entire site about Holland national team of the '70s, but I recently discovered that the site has gone. Their playing was a symphony.