Do some chords have no "formal" name?

Like this one…

It sounds like a very familiar chord from music I’ve listened to. I find it strange that it would not have some scale structure to it…?

If I Detect that chord Scaler gives me “Ab Major Blues Hexatonic Scale”.
So in that case is the name of the chord AbMaj #9 add C with a G# Bass. Although in the pix there is no G# bass note so why display it as a slash chord? I’ve input various chord by hand to duplicate a progression I’ve found and many times Scaler will call it something other then the source I found the progression on even if the notes are the same.

Good point @jamieh , I didn’t look at Detect mode. It does indeed give a more intelligible chord description, together with the (to me) exotic scale. I feel like I just made a new discovery :slight_smile:

It is curious to me how when in Detect mode the same keys pressed showed a different CHORD description in the top line than without Detect mode (see screenshots above)

Does that mean, the chord name is dependent on the scale context given?

1 Like

I like that scale. Sound very — Choral to me.

Yes, to make it simple, there can only be one representative of each pitch class (A, B, C, D, E, F, G) per scale.
When a chord starts on a tonic that is not part of the scale (ie: a ‘D#/Eb maj’ in ‘C major scale’) it would be incorrect to label it “D#” because there is already a “D” chord in C major. And incorrect to label it Eb as well, for the same reason.

Instead of using a short but incorrect name, we are leaving the interpretation to the user.

This logic can get blurry when in a different context, for example if you are borrowing the chord from a scale where it has a defined name. (ie: borrowing ‘Eb’ from C minor, then you could call it Eb). Or if you are voluntarily altering a chord, sharpening or flattening an existing degree of the scale, you want to maintain the information of the source degree (ie: If you flatten the fifth in ‘C major’ you end-up with Gb, and not F#).

I hope this makes sense.

3 Likes