Do you like KPOP?

Teachers, I would like to know, how do you feel about the current KPOP music?
Because I see young people all over the world dancing to KPOP.
On youtube, all KPOP music has at least tens of millions of hits, and more, hundreds of millions or billions of hits.

I found these songs, the chords are not too complicated, but the rhythm is good and the electronic sound is good. I don’t know if SCALER will have any support for this piece?

Whether you like it or not, what I see are young people having a rave.

2 Likes

Awww… this one is in my home town, I am getting home sick now :slight_smile:
KPOP RANDOM PLAY DANCE [FRANKFURT, GERMANY] 121019 - YouTube

Looks like Zumba to me :wink:

2 Likes

Interesting topic.
While keeping in mind the differences, in the K-pop early years I associated the interaction of tight dance and funk rhythms of K-pop with the groovish electro rock pop funky explosion of Michael Jackson arrangements.

I remember K-pop from a few decades ago and it struck me that some of them used nice smooth jazz like progressions.

Now now with massive success (as usual) there is a bunch of electronic dull formulas, effects and rhythms in marriage with the most radio friendly electronic styles from Europe, UK and USA.
Nice for teenagers or frisky millenials.
Or maybe to recreate it with our own ideas beyond any pretensions of hitting a hit (or yes, why not? .-D )

But the fans seem to go crazy with it, some of the girls screams in the Frankfurt video remind me of the Beatles live concerts and the reaction of the girls’ audience.

Harnessing electricity back yesterday I create this little piece evoking and inspired by those jazzy smooth chord progression similar to those present in some early K-pop songs.

There is the mp3 full piece, a video of scaler playing the progression and the session file for Scaler with full progression.

EARLY_K_POP_PROGRESSION audio 2:08
http://files.nucleoxmusic.com/Scaler_demos/EARLY_K_POP_PROGRESSION.mp3

EARLY_K_POP_PROGRESSION audio 2:08

EARLY_K_POP_PROGRESSION_SCALER 00:31

K-POP EARLE YEARS-Session-2022-01-26.xml (24.6 KB)

Just I found this 2010 video with a similar progression type:

3 Likes

…some of the earliest of which was in Hamburg, apparently (?) :joy:

“earliest of which was in Hamburg, apparently (?)”
Their first real gigs as the Beatles were in 1960 in the Kaiserkeller there, the history books tell us. Apparently there was plenty for them to do after playing in the area (the Reeperbahn :wink:).

“Awww… this one is in my home town”
I visited Frankfurt quite frequently, but never managed to sell anything in Germany. I was always puzzled that local residents would wait for a crossing light to turn green when there was no sign of traffic in either direction.

I did one time trek to Falkenstein to visit Dettweiler’s Tempel near the old castle. My colleague and I were detained by the German police.

I spent a lot of time in Hong Kong over the years and at one time there was a similar local musical variant to Kpop called Cantopop. Many songs were in English, because as Cantonese is tonal, it’s really hard to create meaningful lyrics. (the meaning changes depending on whether the note is C# or A )

1 Like

You would too if you had traffic lights like this…

1 Like

the only thing reminded me by this tunes is Kill the Pop
:rofl:

Me? Here in Australia with my lovely wife? Hell, yes! We’ve been on the K-Pop boat since we found SBS POPASIA, a marvellous weekly TV show all about fabulous music from across Korea, China, Japan, Vietnam—but mainly from Korea! We loved it! Watched for years, but SBS cancelled the show.

Undaunted, we’ve found all kinds of great KPop-related stuff on YouTube.

But beyond the scene of commercial K-Pop (ie, product from major entertainment agencies), we also love loads of indie artists, singer-songwriters, traditional Korean music, and of course, dramas! :slight_smile:

Korean music, Korean movies have been great over the years.
The main reason is that they give creators a good environment.

1 Like