Double input of chords

When I drag chords from Scaler into my D.A.W (Mixcraft Pro Studio) I find that the same chord is duplicated, one underneath the other. I delete a chord and there is an identical one underneath so I have to delete again before the bar is empty. This is a pain if I want to chop up the chord as the chord underneath remains its original length as it was dragged from Scaler2. Any solutions?

2 Likes

Just want to say I have the same issue. My DAW is Cubase 10.5 Pro.

1 Like

in reason 11 studio this action creates 2 midi tracks

Hopefully this will be solved in the next update on Sep 9th.

Hi @samuel_beliveau, @regbower, @s-a and sorry to hear that.

I have been testing on Mac 10.15.6 with Cubase LE AI Elements 10.5 (setup : 44100 Hz and 256 samples).

I have tested with : Scaler version 2.0.9 with VST and VST3 versions of both Scaler2 and ScalerAudio2 I have been dragging single chords, multi-selection of chords, entire progression, and midi capture and in all cases I have been able to delete a single note of a chord (clicking on the piano roll on one note and deleting with ā€œdeleteā€ key) without having the same note ā€œunderneathā€ also I have been able to resize a note from the chord without having the same note ā€œunderneathā€.
Could you please give us more details about your configuration and if possible a repeatable process to replicate the duplicated midi clip issue.

Which version of scaler (VST or VST3 / Scaler2 or ScalerAudio2 ) is having this issue ?
Is it happening on a fresh new session?
Any kind of MIDI drag ? one chord, a multi-selection of chord, an entire progression or MIDI CAPTURE ?
Are you dragging to a specific track ?
Any information that you think can help replicate the issue is welcome.

Thanks,
Cheers,
Paul

Hi Paul, I have the issue using:

DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5.20 Build 179
VST: Scaler2 v2.0.9 (Iā€™ve tried with both VST and VST3) (I do not use ScalerAudio2)

Itā€™s happening on a brand new cubase project. The simplest way to repro the behavior is:

• Create a new instrument track with Scaler2 (VST or VST3, doesnā€™t matter)
  • Select C major as the scale
  • Drag and drop C maj chord on the Scaler2 track youā€™ve just created

At this point, I see this:
cubase_scaler2_issue

if I delete the top-most midi event, I see the same chord below:
cubase_scaler2_issue_2

Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks.

Not sure if itā€™s helpful, but hereā€™s the history of commands in Cubase after I drag-and-drop the chord:
cubase_scaler2_history

It means that when I click undo (in cubase), one chord is removed and if I do another time, the last one disappears.

In my previous post I stated that the issue arises in the scaler2 track, but in reality it does the same in any instrument or midi tracks.

Hereā€™s another batch of info:

1. Sometimes it doesnā€™t double the midi import, sometimes it does. In the following images, the two red circles will duplicate the midi, while dragging the C chord in green will behave correctly (only one instance)

2. Sometimes, letā€™s say 10% of the time, what I said above will not duplicate the chord. This is somewhat randomā€¦ maybe a race condition or something?

@luapmartin, I guess itā€™s all I can say for now, hopefully all of this might help you.

This has been an issue for me also since version 1. I have flagged it a couple of times on this forum. Iā€™m using Cubase 10.5 Pro. I would say this happens 80% of the time. Itā€™s easier to work out the chords in Scaler, then enter them manually via the Chord Editor in piano roll.

1 Like

Still happening in 2.1.0

Though maybe not directly applicable to this scenario (this is more related to capture specifically), double check to make sure that you donā€™t have overlapping zones set on your midi controller. Overlapping zones will send duplicate notes and will also cause more frequent midi note input sticking.

@g101 Welcome and thanks for tip

@g101 This bug occurs even when there is no midi controller connected to my computer. Iā€™m not sure what overlapping zones are, but I donā€™t think it causes my issue.

Agreed, I donā€™t think itā€™s related to your situation with regards to a midi controllerā€™s input. Zones are often referred to as keyboard splits or layers (some DAWs have internal controls for zones too.)

I think you might be seeing doubling due to midi input assignment creating a midi loop which may include scaler midi events even if they arenā€™t being received through an external midi device. Iā€™ve never seen duplicate notes from scaler (different DAWs though, however the plugin code is the same.) Also, since it seems that the dev test configurations in cubase arenā€™t seeing duplicates either, it indicates that thereā€™s some sort of difference in the cubase midi configurations thatā€™s causing a midi loop. Possibly related to your midi through/thru assignment in conjunction with active midi ports. Audio interfaces with midi ports will have often both DirectMusic and Windows Midi enabled simultaneously within cubase. Itā€™s possible that a combination of midi through setting and/or assigned ports are creating this loop.

Not very familiar with cubase but it does have a comprehensive MIDI implementation which can sometimes cause problems for users, check out the support article in the link below:

ā€œ* Double or triple recordings of the same MIDI events due to using different driver architectures at the same timeā€

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/206366824-MIDI-issues-on-Windows

@Ben you can delete duplicates through MIDI>Functions>Delete duplicates. If that does not work, make sure that the notes arenā€™t split between two MIDI channels, both doubling and non-working ā€˜delete duplicateā€™ function is generally caused due to midi input port configuration issues within cubase.

Thanks for the explanation @g101 . Maybe thereā€™s a relation with what youā€™re saying, but I will have to research what you said further.

Not sure if itā€™s a good comparison, but I donā€™t have this problem with Omnisphere 2.6 when capturing a few bars of its arpeggiator and drag-and-dropping the midi on my tracks. So if thereā€™s a problem with my Windows configuration, itā€™s only affecting Scaler for now.

1 Like

I think youā€™re right, the midi from Ominsphere arp would be doubled otherwise I would think too.
Also since youā€™re not seeing it happen every time you drag midi from scaler, it really seems like it canā€™t be what I was thinking.

Just a friendly FYI that itā€™s still happening in 2.1.1

Not sure if itā€™s on your radar, but just wanted you to know.

1 Like

Hi, I had pending to report my test about this drag duplication issue, which happens to me quite frequently. Hope this helps a bit. Cheers!

Drag duplicate issue (video capture below)
(double input of chords)
Replicate test
Scaler 2.1.2
Reaper 6.1.4
Windows 7 & 10ā€Ž
06-ā€ŽOct-ā€Ž20

Carlos

I use Reaper, 6.1.4, too and until now was convinced this was a problem with Reaper. In fact, I believe it was always an issue, maybe since Scaler 1.x, but never thought this might be Scaler. Now, I am sure it is. Not a big problem, rather an ennoyance but would be great if possible to fix it.