Dragging chords to copy AND to move

I would like to reopen this request. I’m using version 2.2.0.

Sometimes the user wants to move chords, sometimes to copy them. Depending on context, Scaler should give the user the option to do both, e.g. like in macOS’ Finder using the OPTION button to copy a file instead of moving in it.

The dependence on context is obvious, e.g. it only makes sense to copy chords in the scale explorer from section B to C.

But in pad view, copying should be also possible, if we want moving to be the default behaviour instead. To me, it comes natural to create a new pattern by copying a pre-existing one. I don’t even know if that is possible now, I need to exit pad view and copy them back from the explorer’s section B, and then enter the pad view again.

Thanks,

G.

You can, you can duplicate patterns, copy chords (holding option key) or just move the chords around patterns. Does that help?

1 Like

Thanks. What is misleading is that in most macOS applications the user can understand visually what is going to happen at the end of the dropping. If Scaler behaved like most macOS applications, when pressing Option during the dragging a little + sign would show up to represent how I will be copying instead than moving the chords.

It’s there - just not as clear as it could be. A little plus sign appears on the chord you are copying when you hold the OPTION key and the chord turns green to signify copying.

1 Like

Thanks, Davide
Alt key for windows

duplicate a chord pattern by right clicking and selecting Duplicate

1 Like

It could be a little clearer, but I found this without really thinking about it. I tried what I thought would be right and it worked. That’s often how I experience working with Scaler – “Does it do this? Let’s try. Yes it does.” A sequence of key presses and dragging" is easy to do but it can take many steps to describe it.