Explanation of Phrase and Melody Functions

What do these 2 functions do? What is the relation of the inputted chords or notes to the Phrase or Melody generated from them? It seems to just be completely random?

Welcome to the forum @bigloo Have you started with the manual? Does a decent job of explaining the differences between performances. As does this playlist on YouTube: Scaler 2 In-Depth Tutorials and Workflow Videos - YouTube

1 Like

I have looked at them yes, the manual only states that a phrase or melodic phrase is generated but not how it relates to the inputs, same as the tutorial videos

Melody and Phrase are based on the chords you use in the bound section e.g. section C (1). Click on the “button” (2) to the right of the section you want to use and it will toggle to “bound” .
Then use Melody or Phrase, select one of them and click on the arrow (3) on the left hand of the section to listen. This should give a correct result.

When boudd, the toggle button will blink: image.

Anyways, all the performances

follow the selected chords.

1 Like

I’m a sort of newbie, but I’d observe the following on ‘melody’. a melody with a given name adjusts (say in a diatonic scale) to the harmonised chords which make up a mode…
It’s instructive to take some melody and then play that against, say; a C ionian progression (or just the harmonised scale in section B) and then the same melody with C locrian. You should hear the difference.

From a personal angle, I tend to to think of the ‘melody’ section as having the four distinct elements as shown in the headings I think of them as

{colour} for ‘ear candy’

{motif} is as the classical definition of a repeating element which is the “smallest structural element showing thematic identity” found in both classical music and EDM

{riffs) as in guitar music elements which give some underpinning solidity to the general flow

{theme} a repeating element and building block for providing overall coherence … “a tune”

Scaler is made for exploration and experimentation and it’s a great way to et the ear attuned.

1 Like

Scalers expressions will take a chord you play and break it down to its constituent triadic form before reinterpreting it in a way a musician may have. That’s how we make the content. A phrase is usually chordal with notes from the chords extensions, a performance is only the notes you played no chord extensions. Melody a usually monophonic designed to accompany chords, sequences are the same just more minimal in nature and rhythms are your actual chords broken up.

1 Like