Extra voicing & extra orginal voicing

What should this do? I’ve always thought about that feature, but I haven’t noticed any additional sounds.

It’s not Extra it is EXTRACT. You right click on a chord if it is VOICED the way you like to extract the voicing and apply it to other chords. Voicing means the order of the notes in a chord as well as what octave. I’ll post more in the morning.

It was not clear what that means.

In music theory, voicing refers to the placement of notes in a chord structure. The notes of a chord can appear in a different order or in a different set of octaves. This principle applies to major chords, minor chords, dominant seventh chords, diminished chords, etc.
In fact, the more chord tones you have to work with, the more interesting you can make your chord voicings.
This is an F chord 1st inversion with other voicing after that.

Extract and apply voicing in Scaler allows you to voice a chord a certain way, say first inversion and than apply that same structure to other chords. It doesn’t change the notes of the chord applied to only the order of the notes.
Here is a simple example.
Simple Fmin9 chord

If I turn on Voice Grouping I get this —

Now I extract that voicing —
Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 8.14.31 AM

Now I turn OFF voice grouping so it goes back to simple structure —

Now I APPLY VOICING
Screen Shot 2023-02-06 at 8.38.32 AM
And that voicing is applied to the chord EVEN though I have Voice Grouping turn OFF it is no longer a simple structure –

You can apply that same voicing to any chords now and they will take on the same structure —

So if you, say manually input a chord structure you like and it did what you wanted, you could extract that voicing and apply it to each of the chords in the progression. You can also use it to voice chords without the limitations of what Voice Grouping does, which doesn’t allow you to use many things on the edit page such as inversion, etc.

5 Likes

Translations and many theories are already familiar. That program feature was new to me. Thanks for help. That’s actually a pretty useful feature in the program.

I find myself using it more and more these days.

1 Like