[Feature Request] Custom Guitar Tunings

Hi! Scaler is incredible. I primarily play guitar in open/alternate tunings and it’s just amazing to be able to see all the various scales I can riff around on, displayed right in front of me on the fretboard in something other than standard tuning. Such a great learning tool! You have no idea how long I’ve been waiting for a plugin like this…

One of my main requests would be, if it’s possible, to create your own custom tunings… For instance I have a baritone guitar that I usually keep a fourth lower than standard (B E A D F# B) or sometimes a fifth lower (A D G C E A). Sometimes I’ll simply make up a random tuning myself, or try to play a song from say a Nick Drake tune, where he would often make up his own tunings that probably don’t even have names…

I’d love to be able to play in these within Scaler; to create a custom tuning that I could save as a preset. It would really open up a lot of possibilities of learning the scales and modes all over these different tunings. I’m not a coder so don’t mean to sound naive, but I imagine it can’t be extremely difficult, as you just have to program the frets to go up half a step from whatever note you start with…?

Thanks again for the great work…I actually sent an email to Plugin Boutique recently about this request so I apologize, don’t mean to inundate you here, just didn’t realize til the other day that you had a Scaler forum where the developers can reply to your posts…

1 Like

Hi @Greta,

thanks for the in-depth feedback.

We can add new guitar tunings in Scaler quite easily but we are a long way from being able to allow users to input their own ones. It is something we would love to add in the future, but it is not a priority at this stage.

If you have a list of tunings you would like to see added, you are more than welcome to suggest them, we have an update planned in a couple of weeks so we might have the time to add them in.

Thanks,
Ed

Hey Ed! Thanks so much for replying to me, and sorry for the very delayed response… been busy planning a wedding at the end of this summer so have barely been on my computer :confused:

Anyway, if whenever you guys would have the time to get around to it…maybe when Scaler 2 comes out or something, it would be fantastic to see some of the popular baritone guitar tunings as an option within Scaler. Some of the most popular baritone tunings I know of (from low string to top):

• B-E-A-D-F#-B (Perfect 4th aka B “standard tuning”)
  • A-E-A-D-F#-B (‘Drop A’)
  • A-E-A-D-E-A (Baritone ‘DADGAD’)
  • A-E-A-D-F#-A (‘Double Drop A’)
  • G-D-A-D-E-A (Bass ‘DADGAD’)
  • A-D-G-C-E-A (Perfect 5th aka A “standard tuning”)

If you guys were able to include some of these… it would be awesome!! I would be so grateful and would be such an immense learning tool/help for the instrument. I know the request for baritone tunings is probably small and limited, but we baritone players ARE out there :wink: and no one else would be providing this, so it would be incredibly cool of you guys to be the first. Thanks again for all your hard work.

Best,
Greta

P.S.

Cool video showing off some of these beautiful tunings:

Also just a general Baritone tuning page:

2 Likes

Hi @Greta

thanks for the detailed post, we will have a look and add them in the next release.

We don’t have much more info on the release date, but we will update here when we know more.

Cheers,
Ed

1 Like

Hi @Greta do you have resources about this specific tuning ? been searching around and haven’t found any examples of usage of it (found that website also : https://www.gtdb.org )

would a bass version of DADGAD be instead : G-D-G-C-D-G a whole step below the baritone DADGAD ?
or even E-B-E-A-B-E a fourth below the baritone DADGAD ?

thanks,
Cheers,
Paul

Hey! Sorry I didn’t see this til now… the G-D-A-D-E-A tuning is one I discovered from this video I posted in a previous post:
- My Top 5 Baritone Guitar Tuning Options! - YouTube

He talks about it at the 4:40 mark. I just kind of sloppily referred to it as ‘Bass DADGAD’ because the top four strings A-D-E-A are the same as what they commonly refer to as ‘Baritone DADGAD’ (A-E-A-D-E-A) but the bottom two strings are lowered a whole step, and the guy refers to this as being within ‘bass territory’

…it’s a cool unique tuning I enjoy, so I just mentioned it… however, if this tuning is extremely rare and seems pointless for you guys to add to the program, I totally understand — just the fact you’re indulging my requests for adding baritone tunings makes me very happy!! :slight_smile: I really appreciate you even responding to me … so as long as you wouldn’t mind just adding a few baritone tunings that you consider “worth it”, I’d be very happy. Thanks guys! Can’t wait to see what’s in store for version 2 as well.

Hi @Greta.
I’d certainly like to be able to explore, within Scaler, the many custom tunings associated with Joni Mitchell:
https://www.hakwright.co.uk/music/joni_notation.html
https://jonimitchell.com/music/tuningpatterns.cfm
Cheers,
Mark

1 Like

Hi

@Greta,
we have now released Scaler 1.8.1 containing the baritone guitar tunings. It is accessible from your account page on the Plugin Boutique website.

@mark,
thanks for the suggestion, we have added those to the roadmap and will review the link you sent to try and add them into a future version.

As mentioned before, we plan on adding the ability for users to create their own tunings at some point, but at the moment it is still a manual process. Don’t hesitate to suggest the ones you would like to see in Scaler.

Cheers,
Ed

2 Likes

Wow, thank you so much Ed & crew! How cool is it to suggest something, and you guys just go and do it… it really means a lot. Thanks again. Can’t wait for Scaler 2! :smile:

Best,
Greta

Hi There. I second the custom tuning option. But if it is a long way from being implemented, I was wondering if we could see 7 string guitar tuning options?

We’ve decided custom tunings is the most common use case scenario so that’s what we are going with. I think accomodating 7 or 8 string guitars in terms of our new UI isn’t a good value exchange. Q4 24.