Groove3 - Scaler Explained

Just seen on the Groove3 website. An updated version of their course including 2.5

https://groove3.us7.list-manage.com/track/click?u=621c56f06ce560f5cb75b91d7&id=d6f3ecb0c5&e=aec8e98da6

Scaler Explained

Studio expert Larry Holcombe presents comprehensive Plugin Boutique Scaler 2 video tutorials! If you want to learn how to take advantage of all the features and functions available in Scaler and use them to create a world of new ideas, expressions and melodies, this course is the one to watch. Larry walks you through the basics and then dives into the more advanced features and functions, as well as shows you them in action by creating different song ideas from scratch. These videos are for new Plugin Boutique Scaler 2 users.

Scaler Explained

Loading Scaler & the Interface (07:18) - In this first video, learn the different ways in which you can load the Scaler plug-in and the different areas of the plug-in interface.

Extracting Audio & MIDI (07:34) - Discover the different ways in which you can extract chords and scales from MIDI and Audio files so you can use them to generate new, complementary chord progressions.

The Header (03:31) - Learn all about the Status Bar and Performance Panel of the header, which allows you to monitor MIDI and audio detection, plus access shortcuts to important playback settings.

The Instrument Panel (04:56) - Now take a detailed look at the Instrumental Panel and see how it can be set as a keyboard or a guitar fretboard, and also the way the display changes when you play chords. Larry then discusses the available preset sound options.

Browser Section A (09:12) - In this video, Larry shows you how to choose Scales and browse Chord Sets from both the Genres and Artists options, plus how to load a user progression and lock it to a tonic and key.

Browser Section B (06:22) - Next up, explore the Chord Exploder in section B which allows you to change up chord varieties, inversions and substitutions.

Modulation (13:39) - Larry now goes deep into the Modulation Page which allows you to change keys smoothly for your track and also how to get to the target key musically.

The Progression Builder (07:47) - In this video, learn how to build progressions, dragging and dropping chords to create patterns. Then see how to save and export progressions into your DAW!

Pads & Patterns (05:29) - Next up, see how to use the Patterns in more detail, as well as how to jam out song ideas using the Pad View and Key Switching.

Edit Tab (08:27) - Larry now discusses the Edit Playback Setting which focusses on changing octave, inversion, and tonic for each chord, and then how to edit the duration of each chord in the progression to create interesting rhythmic variations.

Performances & Phrases (10:18) - Learn how to use Performances and Phrases both globally and on a chord by chord basis to create the impression that your progression is being played by a top professional musician!

Rhythms, Arpeggios & Strumming (07:54) - See the ways in which you can further add groove and interest to your progressions with Rhythms and Arpeggios. You’ll also explore how to mimic a guitar strum effect using the Strumming setting, and how these can be added on a chord by chord basis using playback performances!

Bass & Melodies (12:51) - Larry demonstrates how to use Scaler to generate baselines and melody ideas that complement any given chord progression.

Keys Lock (10:45) - In this video, watch how to use the amazing Keys Lock feature that allows you to stay in key no matter which key you hit. This can be done in different ways including following the notes of our chords. See how!

Voice Grouping & Humanize (12:17) - Next up see how to create automatic, smooth professional sounding progressions using voice grouping and humanization.

Chord Edit Mode & Right Click Menu (07:59) - In this video, Larry reveals the chord edit panel including the features you can access from the Right Click Menu for chords within and outside your Progression Builder.

Preferences & Sessions Menu (04:49) - Discover the Preferences and Session Menu options which allow you to synchronize Scalers to keep chords and basslines locked in together.

Creating a Techno Idea (07:50) - In this video, Larry uses some of the techniques you have learnt throughout the videos to generate a cool Techno idea.

Creating a Neo Soul Idea (08:25) - Last but not least, Larry shows you how to use Modulation to make a great a Neo-Soul idea that moves from one key to another smoothly.

2.5 Update

The New Suggest Mode (08:06) - This new feature allows us to suggest new chords within our chosen scale or tonally linked based on a chord selection. This feature will also autofill a chord progression based on a selection of chords or replace a whole chord progression with a suggested progression.

New Guitar Features, Sounds, & Voicings (09:51) - Next up we cover the remaining new features including new chord sets, fretboard views and chord charts for guitar. We continue on to to look at strummed and synth sequences, updated voice groupings and new preset sounds.

I’m trying to see what’s in there that @davide, exploration (fun) and the manual have not covered already for $0 ? :thinking:

1 Like

Yeah. I don’t want to start a rant about the site, and it does have some good things, but I’d say save your money. Watch David’s videos, other tutorials on youtube, – there’s many good ones, read the manual, read these forums, but, mostly, just dive in and explore the program.

1 Like

I know this will have @ClaudioPorcellana jump right on it :rofl:

thanks for the good link. There were a lot of new things in those videos for me, so it was worth it. Also a great site. there are a lot of good songs for me to learn to play the guitar.

Come on man. Lets spread the festive cheer and boost the economy.

We need to support these companies.

Seriously sometimes video is the quickest way to learn. However the manual is a reliable go to included for free. :relieved::money_mouth_face:

Good one, LOL

Different people have different learning styles. I kinda forgot how to read books since I got sucked into the Youtube vortex :upside_down_face: