Guitars again, please

I please wish the guitar section would be: 1: Drag and drop, you got that right. There is no other manufacturer out there that will let you drag and drop or reproduce guitar chords or patterns in any way, shape or form without corruption of the midi data. Reason unknown. I guess it’s to sell progression chord packs. 2: Chords only a guitar can play in the exact form they play them on a fret board. 3: A fret board that shows chord form and inversion. 4: Every guitar chord and their inversions under the sun, whether it sounds good or not. Let us decide. 5: A circle of 5ths with a locator for inversions and bass string drop function. 6:Ability to drag and drop or copy/ paste between two pads (or more). I really think that Scaler is a world class piano instrument and yes, I’ve gone a little (completely) bonkers producing chord pads but the results are truly spectacular.Maybe instead of progressions we might have a “pad” forum for creative and unique chord combo’s. After 40 years of wishing you fulfilled my dream. Thanks for listening.

1 Like

actually, you can do that with AAS Strum-GS 2
:wink:

Hi

I’m a keyboard player (well almost) and I am wondering what is

A circle of 5ths with a locator for inversions and bass string drop function.

I think inversions are already catered for on the CHORD page, as is being able to add a bass note to the chord and its inversions, but maybe this is a keyboard view of life.

Actually, i own strum GS 2. What it does is give you a pattern recognition of the chord in midi, not the raw midi chord data. The chord represented as a single note of midi data to be used in their specific machine, Like musiclab. Like Ample. I want the good stuff you guys have to free the tyranny of manufacturer specific chord usage. Liberty i say, free the musicians! Freedom of chords and patterns. (Sorry, I’ve just spent another 4 hours with Scaler. I’m a little off)

1 Like

Aha, maybe I understand now

So the option to use a MIDI channel (with just chords) coupled to any Strum-GS 2 riff (or series of riffs) dropped in the strum GS 2 track is not what you consider RAW output, I suspect

Well, AAS sells chord packs, but other developers (e.g. UJAM) not, so maybe the reason is different
maybe that @luapmartin can enlighten us :grin:

The chord page is rough because guitar chords are a different animal. I agree it’s pretty simple to edit chord bass and the actual chord itself, but writing music should be fluid, not constantly fixing chords to sound right on a guitar. Just like pianists and certain unnamed producers they want to hear it while their writing it. Music lab is wonderfull for this but it refuses to give the raw notes out.Scaler for piano is an incredible production machine, a real joy to use, i just believe that it can give the guitarist the same experience.

There you go. “coupled to any strum GS riff” “Dropped in the GS2 track” Simple freedom from any form of reliance on anything besides Scaler to write guitar, please. You did it with piano, you did it wonderfully. A perfect score.

I agree that with keyboards, Scaler chords work, but guitar sections are in need of development.

Have you thought that Scaler is good only for chord cycle design and roughly design and what it sounds like after all. Personally, I also use a lot of great chord twists thanks to it … the only thing is that they have to be taken with the keyboards, of course, because the guitar doesn’t have enough fingers and a fingerboard. it is an eternal problem for our guitarists. That’s why guitarists have to play different stuff.

1 Like

Guess what. The people at Scaler and Musiclab have done it again but i just couldn’t figure it out. Until now. Any of the chords on any of their products can be captured note for note midi chords perfectly using the Detect feature on Scaler. A great way is to drive realguitar set to chord output with Scaler then detect them with a second scaler. Use the 2nd Scaler then to record the corrected note structure and drive the input of any guitar vst.Or drag and drop into your DAW and you have a perfect guitar chord machine with 5 inversions of every chord plus the ability to create patterns, arps, picking., ect. with the guitar voicing all correct. I know, I know you need something to detect for Scaler. But it’s fast, correct and awesome for guitarists.

1 Like

Great suggestion!
I’ll try it tonight with UJAM and AAS Strum-GS 2

I know you like AAS. Should work well. Musiclab gives you all chord notes, power chords and 5 inversions. Plus if you Latch to pattern you get strumming and picking patterns to work with. (slow down to 25 BPM and you can write them easily yourself by listening and then modify to your hearts content)

Any of the chords on any of their products can be captured note for note midi chords perfectly using the Detect feature on Scaler

Sorry, can you explain this more concisely to a beginner.

When I use the detect feature in scaler and play my guitar into it, it recognises the chord pretty well, but the notes are all wrong and at least an octave up.

Ultimately, I want to play a chord note by note on my guitar, and have them entered into the Scaler fretboard with the actual fingering that I’m playing.

Your post seems to suggest that you’ve worked out how to do that or something similar?

Thanks.

I don’t ‘read’ music, and my guitar skills are particularly unremarkable, but I believe guitar music is written an octave above the actual pitch, which may account for it ?

More experienced axemen than I will no doubt chip in here …

I use https://www.neckdiagrams.com/ and find it very useful, although I use it more or less exclusively for scales. It’s really easy to drag and drop particular fingering on a shape it comes up with.
As a speciality tool, it’s something which might complement Scaler.

PS: I have no association with them . I’ve just used it since it first came out.

Thanks for your replies.
Sorry… drag and drop what to what?

Do you mean you can drag the notes from Scaler into neckdiagrams, and it will create proper guitar fingerings from the notes Scaler gives to it?

Sorry, no I meant in Neck Diagrams. So (simple case) A caged Ionian scale shape position 2 would come up like this

s1

whereas I find fingering it like this much easier
s2

So this is done by just dragging the notes to the revised fret.

Ok, that’s cool. It would be great if I can keep everything in Scaler, because then the ‘chord diagram library’ for each song would be saved with every DAW project. It would be a convolution to have the chord diagrams in an external program.

So really I’m looking for a way to have to not click on every note of every chord I’m fingering into Scaler. It’s not fast or fun!

I expected the detection would detect a chord without deciphering the individual notes, and nor did I expect it to know the fingering I am using. But I did kind of expect it to allow me to browse through some voicings and find something identical or similar to the shape I used. However, none of the voicings offered are anywhere close to any guitar fingerings. Not even something like a barre A major, let alone a G minor add 11 with root on third fret.

I think I may start my own thread about this topic, rather than hijacking this one further. Although I hope Dannosaurus is still active and using Scaler - it would be great to have more info about their revelation.

I own realguitar. Anything from Musiclab works. If you don’t own it or don’t want to buy it this won’t work. So, set any Musiclab instrument to solo/chords on the main page. Any chord from scaler is now converted when fed into the Musiclab instrument to play the proper inversion and fingering on a guitar. Now take the output of the Musiclab instrument and feed it back into a second instance of scaler set to the detect mode. Scaler will now detect and write perfectly formed guitar chords. Also you can drag and drop or feed this to any guitar VST and the chords are correctly formatted. Musiclab also has an inversion switch on the front panel for 5 different inversions. Also in this thing are strums, picking, ect to lock onto and play your scaler chords.I think Musiclab instruments support around 30 different chords in all scales so it’s pretty extensive. Using this method i have 5 pads in Scaler chock full of guitar chords that i can “poke at” and find the different connections between them. If you need more help, keep asking. This method is spendy( $139.00) but it works for me. No filling in forms, no writing, works perfect. Seeya

2 Likes

Very interesting idea. I’ll have to give this a try. Thanks!