Helping With Orchestral Writing

I am trying to learn orchestral composition and struggling with a lot of the theory, even though in my head, I can hear what I am trying to do so, I bought scaler 2 to see if it can help and was beyond amazed on how I was able to create a basic piece with the classical selection under songs. My question is, does anyone know how to create different melodic parts to a chord progression?
I have a few very nice vst instruments to use (Spitfire BBCSO & Solo Strings, Audio Imperia Nucleus & Areia and a few others) and if my question isn’t clear enough, please ask for clarity as I am new to this and not quite sure how to phrase the question.

Hi Rossy
I don’t know exactly what you mean, but I’ll tell you that, based on Scaler chords, I write a lot of things in classical. So far I have always used BBC Discovery instruments plus Spitfire’s Intimate and Epic Strings. Now I am learning how to use it with the EastWest Orchestrator.
Basically, the most basic thing is to leave a Scaler for chords, which I usually route to Intimate Strings but which very well in your case can go towards the great Audio Imperia Nucleus strings
Then I make copies of the initial Scaler (with the same chord progression) in which I apply perfomances or melodies. These I send to other groups of instruments (woodwinds, brass, for example)
As for the bass, there are two main options: you can copy the lower part of the chords and leave it for cellos and double basses, thus having a good orchestral base in the bass, and you can also use another Scaler with bass interpretation that would go to double basses and / or cellos in pizzicato or spiccato

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply and sorry it wasn’t very clear. Your explanation is what I am trying to achieve but I do have a couple of questions

1. When you say you “send to other groups” how do you do that?
  2. I have very limited experience with using melodies in scaler 2, is there a tutorial that you could point me too that possibly relates to classical or film scoring?
    Thanks again for replying, i am getting very excited at the possibilities of scaler 2 and my writing.

I guess it’s manual separation.
At present, scaler can’t generate bass, strings, orchestral… Etc based on chord intelligence

In this video, from our Forum Band :smile: :smile: you can see how I direct several Scalers to different tracks with different Vst instruments. All Scalers have the same chord progression in C, but the interpretations keep changing. I hope to be of help. Of course there are many ways to use Scaler, but I do it like this and I have a good time

2 Likes

That’s incredibly impressive. Are all the instruments individual instances of scaler2?

Yes. They always have the same chord progression, but different interpretations. Then you have to send them to the vsts of your choice in the DAW you have. In the forum there are many posts on how to do it, but if you look at the video it is really easy. Lucky, Rossy
You can also see here how I bring all the Opus Orchestrator channels to different tracks so that later I can edit the midis in score in a score editor like Musecore (free)
https://forum.scalerplugin.com/t/virtual-midi-out/5519/9
For that I use Element and loopmidi (also practically free)

1 Like

I think I’ve posted these before.

There are templates BBC SO Discovery for various DAWs on

Also, Unify will do something similar, but also has easy to define keyboard splits
See the amazing Jordan Rudess on

3 Likes

“1.) When you say you “send to other groups” how do you do that?”

Research ROUTING in the DAW software you are using. YouTube is your friend. :slight_smile:

1 Like