Hollywood Pop Brass is Boombastic!

The sound is amazing, way better than the other brass plugins I used so far

But while using it with a keyboard making multiple takes is quite straightforward, using it with Scaler needs a lot of study to understand how driving the various instruments into their player, without transposing notes in areas that aren’t suitable for each instrument (the same issue I have in Garritan World BTW)

So any suggestion about this topic is welcome, possible not a video with automatic subtitles :grin: :pray:

P.S: the interaction between iLok and this stuff was a nightmare, as usual: I still think the authorization process is not straightforward at all, and the ilok GUI is awful

AND, I had to leave my PC open a whole night to download those 20 GB
arrabbiato03

Indeed the reason why I avoid sample-based stuff when possible :grin:

1 Like

:rofl: :sweat_smile: :rofl:
Congratulations Claudio.
PopBrass sounds great. I don’t use it much; Maybe it’s a matter of style? It sounds great, but the trumpets, trombones and saxophones always sound to me at the same time, and precisely I like to separate them to later make the score.
I leave you an image in case it helps you with a couple of tips.
Route Opus midi input from Scaler/Scaler
In Scaler, initially put long durations in order to observe; when you already know what sounds good to you, you can make the chords last less time.
If you put performances in Scaler, also let it start at slow tempos (x0.5); You also change it as you hear it.
Try the voice grouping with nothing and on Dynamic or Dynamic + 1.
I recommend that you leave the phrases in Opus for when you master the other presets. It’s a bit more complicated. In any case, when you are testing, do not forget to observe the keyboard in the lower part of Opus. That’s precisely why when trying out phrases we almost always hit a key that changes the performance.
In short, it is a great instrument with very good sounds, but we have to learn it as always, practicing

2 Likes

”Route Opus midi input from Scaler/Scaler”… What do you mean? Do you open two Scaler programs on the same track?

No, that would be another case, which we would have to try at another time
What I mean is what you can see in the image (blue rectangle in Ableton Live):
Midi from Track 1 (Scaler) Channel (Scaler)

Yes, and I think that playing them with bare hands, possibly recording consecutive takes, is better/easier than driving them with Scaler directly with chords etc.

On the other hand, using Scaler green keys to keep brass in tune worked amazingly well :grin:

I just composed a song with this technique, and I’ll drop a tutorial tomorrow

P.S: the more I use my keyboard, Scaler and plugins, the more I think each of them is more suitable for specific tasks, so I stopped trying to use Scaler for anything, and I explore and find solution to save time and boredom

For example, instead of fighting with AAS Strum-GS that doesn’t save changes of patterns you did jamming in real-time, being forced to use complex workarounds, I just record all variations in an audio file: faster & easier

URGH!
I read that only after I composed a song with phrases… :grin: :rofl:

:laughing: :sweat_smile:
Yes. I’m in agreement. Phrases are best chosen and played manually. Programming them so that Scaler sends chords is very complicated because you always end up hitting a phrase change key. Anyway, there are times when there are happy coincidences

1 Like