How Can I Import MIDI?

Hi.

Is it possible to import MIDI chords into Scaler? I’m not seeing this feature and didn’t see this as a feature request when I searched here.

Thanks.

HI @SearlStudio

You can open the MIDI file in your DAW, add Scaler to the track you wish to analyze. Go to the detect tab and press “Start”. Now, press Play in your DAW, Scaler will automatically listen to the midi notes of the track.

Cheers,
Ed

1 Like

I figured it had to be something simple I was missing. Thanks a bunch!

I like that it is possible, but I hate the workflow :). It is so slow for people like me doing this often. Can anyone add this as a feature request as well as export midi and copy to to clipboard? Adding these features helps to make Scaler with seamless workflows.

Have you just dragged your midi file onto the Scaler UI? It will open it, do a chord detect and populate section A. There is no way (that I am aware of) to use MIDI to build a progression (Section C) directly, but you can capture the chords in section A and go from there.

3 Likes

i actually came here, and tried to find video, too, to try and figure out how to do exactly this.
i’ve got 11 chords in a midiclip on ableton live and just want to bang them onto Scaler2 so can see what they are, and what else it would suggest. obv first tried “midi capture”, which did nothing of the sort.
now i tried Detect and record, and am still confused, what i’m seeing detected by scaler2 is not at all what the midi is playing. this is so confusing.

and yes, i’ve tried to drag the midi file from session view in ableton live to scaler2 and just nothing.

It’s confusing, but Ableton ‘MIDI clips’ are not MIDI at all, so drag and drop (and not just to Scaler) won’t work in that way.

Right click and export as MIDI (I normally just drop it on the desk top) and then you will be able to drop that into Scaler.
export

Be aware also that Ableton doesn’t know what a MIDI channel is.

Also, if you have some MIDI sequence and you drop that into Scaler, note that it does not recognise ‘time’; it senses changes in chords and loads the detected chords into section A. Single notes will be shown as such.

It’s slightly different at first to working with DAW’s, but once you get the hang of it, it is efficient.

1 Like