I have single note midi melody, Scaler needs to generate chords for that.

Hi,

Is there anyone out there who can explain the following to me simply and to the point. Namely, my English is not sufficient to understand all concepts.
1 I have a single note midi melody.
2 I use Scaler 2.5 with Ableton.
3 I drag the midi melody to the Scaler window.
4 now for example in the music style “classical 1” I want Scaler to generate the chords.
5 possibly I want the same midi melody not to be “classical”, but for example “chill 2”.

What are the steps in the correct order that I have to take to realize.

Hope to hear from someone.
Best regards
Joseph

Hey Joseph

I don’t think Scaler is designed to work with your specific scenario. While it can help you find chords in the scale of your melody, and in a particular style, it is not designed to generate chords based strictly on a melody.

When Scaler reads your notes, it will tell you what scales contain those notes.

What you might do then is pick a style Classical 1 for example and then look at some of the progressions containing the notes in your melody. From there you might be able to find some chord combinations that work and use Scalers new suggest feature to help find other interesting chords. Scaler will not generate chords strictly based on single notes.

Someone more versed in these topics might have some other ideas, but this might get you started.

Good luck

1 Like

thx so fare. after my hospitalisaton I will try your solution.

but I think for the develpers it should not be that dificult to make this possible.
regards
Joseph

Hi @dijck

I think the current version of Scaler (2.8.1) may be able to help you here.

First using the DETECT mode detect your melody in Scaler.

In Section A Scaler will suggest scales that may be used to harmonise your melody.

Here it is suggesting that C major is the most appropriate scale to harmonise my melody, But I don’t want that so to add some spice to the melody I scrolled down

and chose the D Minor Blues Hexatonic Scale.

I know this will be a good fit because it is near the top of the list of suggestions, and clicking on the i on that line shows me the notes of the scale (D, F, G, Ab, A, C) whilst my melody uses the notes F, C, A, D, and G.

If I now click on the suggest button Scaler

will suggest a series of chords from which I can pick a chord for the first block,

Note that these are chords that
scaler’s algorithm suggests may fit the melody. They are not necessarily from your chosen scale. But by clicking on the TONAL button

I can select PER SCALE and get diatonic chords from my chosen scale.

I can now drag these into my pattern.

Hope this helps

4 Likes