I'm not getting regularly usable results from SUGGEST feature

I’m not getting regularly usable results from SUGGEST feature

The chords/progressions it suggests often feel so unmusical— could someone please suggest some tips, what I might be doing wrong.

The results might be technically right, but they just aren’t always inspiring.

2 Likes

Borrowing chords from other scales (or modes of the same scale) is one of the ways to make music more interesting, and so hold the listener’s attention. It should be used judiciously, though. I usually only use suggest for individual chords, not to fill a pattern. Try making a pattern from the in-scale chords in section B - you can use extensions as well by using the drop down on the triads button. Then select suggest, and click “live”. Select any chord in your pattern, and the suggest box will show suitable chords for the one after your selected chord. If it has a blue line at the top, it’s in scale, if it’s grey, it’s a borrowed chord, or out of scale. By adopting this approach, you will have a more regular progression, with just a couple of interesting variations.

For any part of your song that has an out of scale chord, you must make sure your melody (and bass line) follows the borrowed chord, not the scale your piece is based on.

2 Likes

Thank you Nick, some good thoughts. Though I have tried something similar to this, but the results are not consistent.

How can I ensure the preset progressions (ARTISTS etc) match the chords I have, for e.g. my chords in ‘Pattern A’?

It all depend on what you consider “musical”… :grinning:

I always use Suggest to create tons of patterns and the music I create is musical to me

YMMV

The results might be technically right, but they just aren’t always inspiring.

Well, I think it’s just normal, and relevant to real composers too

I can’t comment on that question with any authority because I don’t use the preset patterns. I chose a scale/mode, which populates section B, then create patterns manually from that. Then I go about making it more interesting (to me, anyway) using both suggest and mod (short for modulate). Even without those, you can spice things up using extensions of the basic triads by clicking on triads and selecting from the dropdown list that appears.

Even though Scaler gives you great tools to learn harmonic theory, it is useful to have a bit of knowledge first so you have some context when you come to use it. Cadences, which resolve, and half-cadences which create suspense are good to have in your toolkit of composition techniques. Try googling “cadences music theory”.

Enjoy the journey!