Import and save own Performance/Melody

Hi guys,

I would like to record my own performance and rhythms, melody etc.
Like creating a MIDI in the DAW, then importing it into Scaler by e.g. drag & drop.
So actually it would be like a user presets category in the ‘Performance’ area of the software.

Is there a feature like this one already, or will it be integrated in one of the upcoming versions?
As far as I see, only importing and exporting of chord sets is possible for now.

Thank you very much for your support

3 Likes

Welcome Alex;

Your request/question actually has a couple layers associated with it and the answer is yes and no in the current version but I can’t speak for futures.

As you noted for chords & notes, you can drag and drop midi sequences (depending on your DAW and OS) into Scaler and it will recognize them in detect mode. You can then drag those chords directly from section A into section C patterns. With regards to note and chord timing however, there is no auto detect feature that recognizes timing so you would need to replicate your chord progression in the pattern editor’s settings- section C

Once you do that you can save your chords and patterns using the Save button under MIDI CAPTURE in Section C and they will then appear under the User button in section A. You will have 2 options when you go to load a user preset…one with the word pattern and and one with the word session. This can be a little confusing as the “pattern” option only loads chords into sections A & B, while the “session” option will load any patterns you have built in Section C as well as sections A & B…still with me?

Sorry no picts, in a bit of a hurry tonight. If my description is clear as mud, I suspect others will chime in.

Hope this helps a bit.

1 Like

Hi TMacD,

and thank you for your swift reply. I can understand your explanation with A, B & C :slight_smile:

The option that you explained is known to me and as you may have guessed not really what I had in mind.
Like you said, there is no auto detect feature that recognizes timing. Additional to this it should also recognize the velocity.
So what I had in mind is that after I played and recorded a nice melody in MIDI in one song, I would like to use it in another composition. Or I have my own rhythms and so on. So that then, I could easily transpose and use these information as my own presets in scaler.
As you see in the screenshot, this is where this option could be.

Capture

1 Like

I get it - would love that too - coming!!!

6 Likes

Whoop, whoop! Looking forward to this!

It seems to me that the Scaler ‘state save’ is a bit of a hidden gem, since it appears to be essentially just that - a snapshot - freezing all properties in the application image. It seems to faithfully dump all the multiple patterns as well.

So I am moving towards a workflow where I start with creating the progressions and performances as a base for some piece I have in mind. I can then just save the state then come back to it at will. I’ll have several different pieces in progress at any time, and I can just restore and carry on. When I’m happy, I move it to Live and finish the piece there.

I realise this is upside down to what might be a normal approach of getting a bassline and percussion sorted, then layering stuff on that. Since I have plenty of tools for making percussion and bass lines, any creative work lies in the Scaler part. So the ‘tune’ (and in my case the timbre of sounds) is the key part. So I’m looking for the same capabilities as @alex0815 (was this time time of day when you created the username ??? ), but really in a slightly different context.

It’s also the reason why (as in my other posts) I have a focus on the ‘audition problem’. Scaler has hundreds of thousand of permutations of creative elements (which goes up dramatically with each point release !). So even if you have a good idea of the end product and a basic framework, how do you find a good match from these? What I want to do is classify some sub-set so that I can (a) avoid missing something really good I never tried and (b) not spend all day listing to Italian named fragments I can’t remember the name of next time. Maledizioni, come posso elaborare questi milioni di frammenti? as some might say.

I watch for 2.4 with interest, but I am amazed by the amount of new stuff in a ‘big point’ Scaler release. Acronis only fixes (some) bugs at each ‘big point’ :sob:

Yes save state indeed a hidden gem and maybe pointing to some better categorisation and ‘snapshots’ in future iteration. Now in the top left ‘S’ logo menu by right clicking.

3 Likes

Hey @davide I see a small size difference between the Export State file (below the S logo) and the session file I get when I do a regular Chord save (Save below the Midi Capture button) Anything important or are both complete pictures of the session state?

Not sure about the file size and why @Ed1? but they both do the same thing.

It seemed like they did…good to know. @Ed1, please don’t look into that on my account. 73 unaccounted for bytes are just not that important…when everything is working. :slight_smile:

Hi @TMacD,

the difference in size is due to a small difference in flow that leads to export those states:

• when exporting from the side menu via the “Export State” button the side menu will be always opened and the selected side menu panel will be the 3rd panel
  • when exporting from the logo right-click you may haven’t open the side menu nor have the 3rd panel selected in that menu (if you open the side menu and select 3rd panel there and export your state from the Logo right-click while the side menu is open those will be identical byte-to-byte)

other than those special details the rest of the state is and should be identical, if you encounter any issue, please report to us.

Have a nice day,
Cheers,
Paul

Hi @davide,

I saw the potential of Scaler quite fast and that it is also very convenient for especially users with few or no music theory knowledge. It is quite easy for everybody to create chord progressions.

And before reading the rest of my post, I want to thank you and the rest of the team for the work, dedication and effort you put in this software. You do a realy great job.

Now Scaler comes with a lot of presets for Melody, Bass, Performances, etc. which is great.

And my workflow looks like the following:

1. I have a melody or/and a rhythm in my mind,
  2. I search the chordprogression in Scaler.
  3. Drag and drop the chords in my DAW and then try to make my melody fit to the chordprogression.

Now I thought, why not do the whole thing backwards? Might be more convenient and it gets more flexible:

1. Have the melody in my mind.
  2. Play it on the keyboard and record it into MIDI.
  3. Load this MIDI into scaler and use this with any chord progression I feel comfortable with. Simmilar to the presets already installed, but with my own input.

I tried to visualize my idea with photoshop as best as I could:

As you see in the picture (down below on the left side) a simmilar menu could be done as there is already for the user chord progressions.
The user then can create and rename folders and maybe also subfolders.

The MIDI information could be:

• imported via drag&drop from the DAW or
  • with the help of an import option from a file from the hard drives and
  • with the already available record button.

Secondly, as @yorkeman mentioned in his post, the listening to samples can be quite time consuming and I totally agree.

I also have often the feeling that I spend to much time browsing for the right melody or I would like the compare to the other one I heard before, but I cannot remember which it was.
But I also think that the naming of those is irrelevant in which language they are. (Frankly, I love the Italian naming of those)
Maybe a visualization of those presets could be a feature for easier browsing, either by showing the MIDI information ( see my poor photohsop work :slight_smile: down below on the right side of the screenshot ) or as musical notation, like some Kontakt instruments have or the Reaper musical notation view, to name two examples.

Thanks again and have a great day.

This is interesting. As I think I noted in a recent post, I also work ‘backwards’ i.e. “melody” first, as there are a multiplicity of ways to create percussion and bass tracks.

As @Alex0815 identifies, this raises what I call the ‘auditioning challenge’ . In an ideal world, there would be some means of classification of the structure of the combination of progressions from songs and artists in combination with the performances, identifying what might work or not, where there would be dissonances or the reverse etc. This is pipedream, but if there were a rapid way of auditioning combinations, rating them and adding notes, and holding that information in a ‘database’, it would facilitate the backwards working method (which I think Scaler inherently points towards, especially because of the modulation capabilities).

I have thought a lot about this, and am about to post more on some ideas for feedback.

Watch this space, as they say.

Thank you for taking the time Paul

Can I be greedy and have icing on my cake? :slight_smile:
How about allowing saving Scaler state as a VST preset (.fxb file), which can then be managed by DAWs/VST hosts, and also be switched with MIDI program change message?

ARGH!
Never noticed it
:astonished: :woozy_face: :crazy_face:

I want an icing on my cake also!

torta

A way to save statuses automatically in My preferred folder, not the C:/root one?
:grinning:

I agree with all of this and I love graphical representations. Remember that in the current format Scaler’s UI is finite. An overhaul allows us to allow for multiple workflows and improved categorisation.
Finally the whole premise of scaler was really to detect a melody you are playing and suggest chords. That’s why it’s always ‘live’ and ready to detect so that workflow is common and will always be supported.

That would really be a cool option

I’m exploring all the Scalar options for the first time,
and importing my own MIDI performances is the first feature I’m looking for.

I know this post was from 4 months ago, but do you have any estimate on when this might be implemented?