Installing Scaler 2 update does not update Sounds folder on external disk

1. What were you trying to do?

I have configured the Sounds Location setting to use my external SSD drive. Then, when I install a Scaler 2 update the installer reinstalls all the sounds in the default folder (/Users/Shared/Plugin Boutique/Scaler2/Sounds/).

1. What do you think should have happened?

The installer should respect the customized Sounds Location setting, and install the upgraded Sounds folder into the custom location (e.g. external disk).

1. What happened instead?

The installer always seems to install the Sounds into the default location at /Users/Shared/Plugin Boutique/Scaler2/Sounds/.

1. What system/software do you use?

Using macOS 10.15.7 (Catalina) and Scaler 2.5.0.

Thanks, devs!

Just move the sounds to where you want them to be after they install and then point Scaler to that location in preferences. It is just the way the installer works perhaps.
BTW - I think how you outlined the problem is superb for the Devs. Everyone should take notes on that and it would be so much easier to sus out problems. Well done. In fact I’m going to use that format anytime I need to report a problem. It’s great!

I have a similar problem , My P.C has two internal SSD Drives . When installing I make sure I put them where I keep my user file. But I have to reload them every time I open a new session. Ps Chords and Sound Sets. I’m on Windows 10.

Hi Jamie, I agree that it’s not very difficult to move the Sounds folder from /Users/Shared/Plugin Boutique/Scaler2/Sounds/ and overwrite the same folder on my external disk so all the files are upgraded.

My bug report is just to note that when performing a Scaler2 upgrade:

1. The current installer is not behaving as expected: the configured Sounds folder in a non-default location does not get upgraded.
  2. You will end up with two copies of 800-900 MB of samples, one on your main disk and another (outdated) copy on the external disk.
  3. Causes extra hassle by having to manually move the Sounds folder with every upgrade, which is also a necessary action that the user might have forgotten to perform.

Fair enough - Always good to be aware of things like this. Not sure if it’s possible for the installer to find a location other then default since each user would be drastically different but nice to be keep those things noted so you can make the necessary adjustments.

Have you deleted the default location files? Is there an Admin thing you might need to do to make the location stick? On Mac we can run into things that need permissions changed to be permanent.

As @jamieh, 5 stars for problem definition … (you are presumably either an embattled user or an IT pro :slightly_smiling_face:

AFAIK, it’s always done this, and I relocate the files onto my EVO 970 SSD from my sparse hard c: drive. Updates are not that often, so as long as you remember to do that; I’ve not found it too much of a hassle.

[I recently responded to @Trankonia on this Moving my Scaler 2 files ]

I agree entirely that logically the files should be located as specified in the preferences tab, but I personally would be happy for this to be put on the Dev’s next ‘big point’ change.

(on no, it’s HIM again…)

I still haven’t updated. Gun-shy after everything I’ve been through on this machine migration (plus, as I was ready to work on a new piece last night, all of a sudden my midi keyboard went invisible and I couldn’t get anything to play in Studio 1. Uninstalled, reinstalled, and now it works…but still…)

So, @yorkeman, it sounds like the upgrade will just throw the sounds files into a default folder, and then I can move/overwrite them into the SSD folder I have in preferences? (which, btw, is correctly pointing to the sounds I have now, but I never touched that preferences setting. How it found them and assigned the path in the first place, I have no idea…)

I was always the guy that everyone would go to if they couldn’t figure something out, especially software. Once I was given a brand new HTML5 app because the producer needed to know if we could animate in it so he could present a proposal later in the afternoon. We good the job so there’s that… :blush:

There is a free application for Windows that allows you to move directories to locations other than the main disk
FreeMove
I use it a lot to free up space on that C: \ disk that is always saturated.
I used it months ago to send the Scaler sound files (which is about 800 Mbs) from C: \ to F: . When updating to 2.4, and now to 2.5, the installer has interpreted the change of location well and I have had no problems
FreeMove

Please note that the initial bug report is about unexpected behavior during the Scaler2 upgrade installation, and focused on macOS, not Windows.

If multiple different Sounds paths are configured for different users, I suppose it would make sense for the installer to still use the current user’s configured path.

Perhaps it would make the most sense to manually replace the default Sounds location (/Users/Shared/Plugin Boutique/Scaler2/Sounds/) with a symbolic link (or Alias in macOS) to the new location. This is how the Arturia installer does it.