Inverted Chord Edition

I have a Cmaj chord in the Chord Builder and I invert it 2 times, which gives me the following brown keys :

I edit the chord by adding a bass note (the blue key above).

When I click the apply button, my 2 inversions dissapear.
Scaler thinks this chord (brown and blue keys) has no inversion!

This chord progression has the following inversion:

Cmaj (2nd inversion) - Fmaj (1st inversion) - Gmaj (1st inversion)

The inclusion of bass notes make Scaler to think that there is no inversion for these three chords.

Is it too ambiguous for Scaler to determine the inversion with the addition of notes?

I guess this posts answer my questions …

Can’t wait for Scaler 2 !!

Your inversion should be kept in the chords and it should playback the notes you have selected. The inversion number displayed in the builder at the bottom (section C) is simply an indication. When editing the chord manually and clicking apply we consider the chord as being in its original form (inversion 0).

This is a choice we made for clarity, this way if you have a value other than “0” in the inversion selector it means your notes won’t be the way you set them in the editor.

It could have been the other way around, but as you noticed it can then be hard when adding bass note to understand the intent of the user.

Some people could expect the inversion 1 of a Cmaj to always have a bass in “E” for example but others might expect the bass in C to stay the same and the upper triad to be inverted. This will be improved once Scaler indicates the bass note of a chord separately from the handling of the inversion.

I hope this helps you understand what is going on :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Ed

1 Like

Thanks for the explanation.
I’m only beginning to understand the subtilties of music theory.
And Scaler really helps me a lot. So thank you indeed for that.

1 Like