Jamstix on Sale

The moment I was waiting for since several months is coming. My favorite drumming software will be on sale. They say “Up to 60% off”, so I’ll see how much this will really be. For sure I’ll buy the standard version and the Dark Side pack (Pink Floyd’s Nick Mason style) because i already have Addictive Drums for sounds. So far, i use and like the free version of Jamstix. The site is: rayzoon.com, until Dec 31.

2 Likes

Finally, it started
Standard version is $59. The others, although not expensive are not interesting for me.

Have you bit the bullet yet, I keep looking at the same option as you but undecided. I’ve also considered the next one up XL, and obviously the Dark side add-on.

It’s on my machine and started a few tests. Really Nick Mason’s style. Moreover, as Reaper user, I have one bonus. Ralph, the guy behind Jamstix created a script that, as i may understand, creates Regions from the song structure in Jamstix. Looks promising. Will test for sure.
All in all, the paid version is worth of trying, especially at this price.

2 Likes

I absolutely love Jamstix. As a person with absolutely no sense of what a “real” drummer would do, it’s great to be able to just tell it “play this arrangement in this style” and it creates patterns and fills on the fly. On top of that, there are tons of parameters to tweak the performance to perfection. I’m not overly thrilled with the drum sounds, I find that I usually have to go in and adjust the compression and EQ settings, however, for a non-drummer like myself, it’s the drum pattern creation portion of Jamstix that is the real gold of it all.

1 Like

I agree with you, @howler0502 . I have no rhythm in my hands (unable to use drum pads) and until recently I used Addictive Drums 2 and its predefined MIDI rhythms. Although AD2 is excellent in terms of sound, its rhythms were very limited and complicated to cut and combine so, after several years of using it and spending a nice amount of money on different packs, I decided it was time to stop.
A few months ago, I discovered Jamstix, Free Version. It already allowed me more freedom. I was able to build a kind of structure that followed my song’s one. With this Season’s sale and almost a half price off, I did not hesitate to buy a paid version.
My new workflow will be the inverse of what I did. First, I’ll use Jamstix to build the structure, then add Scaler-based chords, bass, melody etc. This is very flexible and I can use AD2 sounds with this. I still need to check Jamstix’s own sounds and will maybe use both AD2 and Jamstix drums in my projects.

1 Like

Yep, and I like that you can have it listen to a midi track and it will adjust its performance based on that midi (although I think it mainly looks for accents rather than adjusting the timing of the beats, but I could be wrong) but I like that once I find a rhythm I like, and create a bass part to go along with it, I can have Jamstix use the MIDI Jam feature to adjust its playing style to the bass part (or any other part I want it to listen to).

1 Like

OK, this is something new for me! I still have a lot to discover :slight_smile: Thanks for the idea.

1 Like

Ok, i try to figure out how Jamstix can listen to, to example, bass line.

I tried, but did not know how to do it. Should I do redirection from e.g. bass track to Jamstix track?

I’m not sure which DAW you’re using, but in Cakewalk by Bandlab (the DAW I use) each instrument usually has two tracks associated with it, an audio output track and a MIDI input track. I simply copy the MIDI data from my bass instrument track over into the Jamstix MIDI track, and then select “MIDI JAM” in the main Jamstix interface. (The window for selecting the jam type should be in the upper left and have choices including Normal Jam, MIDI Jam, Audio Jam, and MIDI Playback) You do NOT want to select MIDI playback, as all that does is make Jamstix play whatever is in the MIDI track instead of creating its own internal patterns. MIDI JAM is the one that will look at the MIDI track and adjust its pattern creation based on that information. To be upfront and honest, though, I have not actually verified that is does anything, I just take Jamstix’s developer’s claim that that is indeed what it does. I haven’t actually analyzed the differences between a NORMAL JAM created pattern and one that has been helped with MIDI JAM. I hope that helps!

1 Like

Great, thanks! I use Reaper so this is a bit different, but I have an idea how to do it following your example.

eg Logic Pro X is good drums. It makes you follow whatever track. It can be a midi or an audio track and of course you can edit it.