Launchpad Pro Mk3 Custom Modes

If you have a Launchpad Pro Mk3 (LP), one great way to take advantage of Scaler’s switching capabilities (for chord pads, chord row choice, and scale choice) is to create one or more Custom Modes for your LP, matched up with a saved state of Scaler so that they work smoothly together as per the layout you desire on the LP.

In this post I provide ‘SJ_Scaler_03a’ Custom Mode, and the Scaler state setup to match. This was created with the Novation Components software.

The operational idea is to have a fat set of chords and scale notes all accessible for playing at once, and to allow instant switching between multiple such sets at will.

The Note Playing Area here starts right above the chord pads at C4 and goes upwards for 5 octaves. There is not much bass available in this one!

This Custom Mode is meant to be used with Scaler open to Section C. I have populated all rows of Section C with chords related to the set of Scales called by the red pads. So, to have chords and scales match diatonically, press the red and orange pads (1 each) that are right next to each other. OTOH, you do not have to track scales and chords together - sometimes the clash can be interesting!

SJ Scaler 03a.syx.mid (556 Bytes)

SJ Scaler 03a Layout - 001.xml (59.5 KB)

Notes: Remove the .mid suffix from the .syx file before sending it to the Launchpad.

The .syx file for the LP was saved from the Novation Components software (free for LP owners) which was used to create the Custom Mode.

Tested and working well (so far) in Ableton Live 11.0.5b3.

Wish: for current Scale name to be also be displayed on the Section C page!

2 Likes

In this post I provide ‘SJ_Scaler_03b’ Custom Mode, and the Scaler state setup to match.

Again, the Note Playing Area here starts right above the chord pads, but this time 3 octaves lower than the 03a version above. The very lowest note numbers are still given over to switching rather than playable notes, but this layout gets us down out of the dog-whistle zone!

SJ Scaler 03b.syx.mid (556 Bytes)

SJ Scaler 03b Layout - 001.xml (59.5 KB)

3 Likes

Worth mentioning - the above are not 56 (or 64) chords all at once. The above offers only 8 “live” chords at a time, but with very fast switching to different sets of 8 as per the current (2.4) Scaler paradigm.

See: All Chords Live at Once (7x8=56)

2 Likes

Greets:
A few months ago, I started using the Launchpad Pro as my main MIDI controller, using it with Logic and some standalone plugins. I have Scaler, but just barely scratching the surface of it.

Can you please explain how the Component you’ve created is supposed to work with Scaler? I want to be sure that I can wrap my head around this and apply it to Scaler. I do have the syx file uploaded to LP as a custom mode, but not sure what the XML file does, where it’s supposed to go or how to use it.

I’m keen on using Scaler with the LP as a way to build up a few groups of chords to save and reuse. But I welcome any clarification on the overall usage of your Component.

Thanks so much!

Hi.

The XML file is for loading into Scaler itself. It defines the matching Scaler configuration to properly receive the messages from and respond to the pads.

So, one file to configure the hardware, one file to configure the software (Scaler). That’s it!

Thanks so much for the clarication, Steve; that helps a lot.

I’ll give it a go, and see what comes of it. I appreicate it!

Hey again, Steve.

So I just did a really quick test; opened up Logic Pro, added Scaler 2 as an instrument, have my Launchpad Pro open with the custom mode. I imported the XML file, and I have access to the binding that was already populated, I assume, when Scaler was opened.

The first row from the bottom…no sound there. What is this row for?

The second row…seems to be the bass root, yes?

Now, the two rows at the bottom each has the last pad with no data (no color). Are there functions for these? Are they supposed to complete the scales on each row?

Third row starts the scale, and the subsequent rows represents an octave up. That one, I get. As it is right now, the top two rows are silent because, I’m assuming, they are out of range. I think I get that.

I appreciate some guidance to fill in the blanks; thanks!

BTW, can be pretty fantastic, once I get this down.

Hi.

The green row (8 pads) plays chords. It plays the chords from the “current row”, which is selected (changed) by the orange pads. The red pads select (change) Scaler’s current scale.

Thus, the red and orange pads do not themselves produce sound, they change the sounds that are produced by the other pads.

I follow this with a lot of interest because I have Launchpad Mini Mk3 and would like to know if something “similar” could be used with my controller.
I know that Pro and Mini have different HW, but maybe coukd it work with some modifications in .sys file. On the xml side, i an pretty sure there should be no differences.

Thanks for the elaboration. I’ll definitely have a play with this against Scaler for a bit, and let you know how things go.

Sure, so long as you can edit the Mini pads via the Novation Components software, which I believe you can, just set them up the same as the picture shows in order to match up with the Scaler side.

1 Like

Thanks for your response. I hoped this would be the case and, yes, I modified my LP even to work with Reaper, my DAW, which is quite difficult to please. With your setup, new options open for me to use LP with Reaper.

1 Like

Thus, the red and orange pads do not themselves produce sound, they change the sounds that are produced by the other pads.

Just tried this out and it’s fantastic, thank you! I do have one question though, I don’t quite understand what the orange pads do, you mentioned that they don’t produce sound but on my LaunchPad Mini Mk3 the orange pads do produce sound (low notes). I was sure that I did everything correctly, I placed the xml file into Scaler’s Sets folder and uploaded the .sysx file via the Components app.

So yeah, the problem I’m seeing is the orange pads ARE producing sound instead of changing the current row. Everything else works perfectly. By the way, everything is up to date, I’m on Scaler 2.8.1, Logic 10.7.9 and even the Components app is up to date (Version 1.44.0). Also, I have the blue dot next to the letter C in Scaler selected. What might I be doing wrong?

I can offer a diagnosing approach here.

First, use a MIDI monitor to confirm and understand exactly what your hardware is sending. The orange pads should be sending the notes as indicated.

Once that is solid, your two goals are a) not to hear those notes, and b) to have those notes affect Scaler in the desired way.

re: a) - determine where the sound is coming from. Is it coming from Scaler, or from some other track in your DAW. Wherever it is coming from, silence it!

re: b) - the notes will change the row choice in Scaler if you are in Section C and if all the mappings are correct. You should be able to see the row selection change (and hear the result). If you don’t, probably a careful look at the mapping will reveal why not.

Good luck!

1 Like

Ok I’ve figured it out, the problem was that for the SJ Scaler 03a layout (the first one you uploaded) the View needed to be set to “4 Pad” instead of “1 Main”. Everything is working really well now, thanks!

Hey folks!

I wasn’t able to get around to really using Scaler 2 yet; stuff came up in recent months.

Now I’m finding the time to return to this. Just wanted to find out if it still is working for people. I’m on MacOS running Monterey (no Sonoma until my essential music-related software and plugins are updated or deemed compatible). And anything I should know about as far as changes or updates?

Thanks!

I’m on Monterey 12.7, no issues. Just make sure you have the latest Components app (it will probably prompt you to update on startup), load both of the files SJ1 attached and in Scaler 2 make sure you’re on view “4 Pad” instead of the default “1 Main”. Everything should work perfectly.

1 Like

Very good to know, @arsnova; many thanks!

Hi Miki, did you ever create a file to use the LP Mini with Scaler on Ableton?
If so, would it be possible to upload it here please?

Unfortunately, I do not use Ableton so i have no idea how this would work.

1 Like