Loading series of chords in an easier way

Since about one week, I am trying to reproduce the Oscar Benton Bensonhurst Blues

I didn’t try to have Scaler Audio recognizing the chords, because I had always troubles doing that
So, I tried what was apparently the easier way: looking on the Internet for the chords, then entering them in Scaler: what a nightmare it was!

Here is the series with the text

Am
Bay Parkway wonder
Dm
You’re such a success
E
Your pretty secretary, ha
Am
She say you are the best
F
Your face always smiling
Am
Say you sure paid your dues
Dm
But I know inside
E
You’ve got the
Am
Bensonhurst blues

(all the other verses have identical chords)

Now, maybe I still have to find the right way, and in that case I’ll wear sackcloth and ashes :crazy_face: :grin:, but I was able to do that ONLY dropping in Section C nine Am chords, then I selected each one starting from the 2nd, then I selected Edit chord and I tried to find the proper one… and this was quite a simple series of chords, I can’t imagine a complex series

So I hope that devs will be able to find an easier way to import chords, for example some standard format file like this

I don’t understand why this was a nightmare to do. I selected Am scale and all chords in the scale (Am Bdim Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj and Gmaj) were there except Emaj is Emin. I just dragged all the chords needed to section C then change the Emin to Emaj. Done. Took 5 minutes. Am I missing something?

This is an artifact of the evolution of Scaler, it was built around the detection, there wasn’t a need for Scaler if you knew exactly what you were playing note for note.

With all the expressions and ability to re-voice, transpose, this has become a common workflow. We will address this in future updates.

There are many possible notation systems, straight from the guitar tab is a good (but complicated) idea.

1 Like

Maybe this won’t work for what you are trying to do, however I entered these chords in less than 30 seconds using CoF, the Midi Capture function and the drag to detect feature.

Sure, not copy and paste, but at least for me, 24 seconds is not much of a nightmare. :slight_smile:

OK, I’ll prepare sackcloth and ashes
:rofl:

But you should understand I’m not a musician, and I didn’t realize those chords were available
but in case they weren’t?

Can you explain the workflow?
:thinking:

Aha, now I understand
thanks for the explanation

Sure…
With a fresh Scaler:

1. Open Chord pane (Ctrl shift 3) so you can see the Circle of Fifths
  2. Turn on Midi Capture
  3. Click on the chords you want w/in the CoF
  4. Turn off Midi Capture
  5. Drag the captured midi outside the Scaler interface but do not drop…
  6. Drag it back over Scaler, Drop and say Yes to the dialog box
    Now all your chords are in Section A

hope that helps

2 Likes

man smart…
:grinning:

he he he
thanks

1 Like

Hope it helps…
A way I’ve also used it is by using the search box on the CoF screen with a string of chords. If I take your example of
“Am
Bay Parkway wonder
Dm
You’re such a success
E
Your pretty secretary, ha
Am
She say you are the best
F
Your face always smiling
Am
Say you sure paid your dues
Dm
But I know inside
E
You’ve got the
Am”

You could past that entire string into the CoF search box. The 1st chords you will get are the A chords where you can drag (or play the Am to record it) then, as you delete text in the search box, it will populate the chords. No doubt a hack, but heck…it works.

Cheers

What do you mean exactly?
you dropped all the text above, or just chords?
e.g. Am Dm E Am F Am Dm E Am all together

rethinking to your post, it seems my chords AREN’T there
I need:
Am Dm E Am F Am Dm E Am
NOT
Am Bdim Cmaj Dmin Emin Fmaj and Gmaj
:thinking:

What are you talking about? All the chords that you need are there in the scale except that Emaj that you need is Emin in the scale. CHANGE Emin to EMaj. You change one note E G B to E G# B
So from the Amin scale you pull these chords Am Dm Em Am F Am Dm Em Am to section C Edit Emin to Emaj and you are done. Elapsed time 15 seconds.
I don’t understand what you are saying here at all. They are all there but one chord as I stated. You change ONE chord.
Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 8.17.52 AM

1 Like

Or if you had chosen Aminor Harmonic scale - Boom done. 3 seconds.

2 Likes

OK, maybe I was just too sleepy
:sleeping_bed: :crazy_face: :grin:

Sometimes I get stuck just because I took the wrong path, e.g. a blind alley, and I am unable to retrace my steps and search for another way

Luckily enough this doesn’t happen when hiking on the mountains
:grin:

BTW @TMacD: the @jamieh workflow starting from the CoF is even faster because there is no need to D&D out of the Scaler GUI, nor to record MIDI in Scaler

Yes…you could drop the entire string and since the search box picks up text from the left, you just pull you chords down into your pattern as you see them and and then just delete the old text as you work your way to the end of the string. It is just a matter of how you want to do it. If you wanted to drop all the chords in, that would do the same thing…you just would not have extra text to strip off between chords. Also, if your chord notation is the same as Scaler expects, you’ll get the specific chord (for example, Amin will find the A min chord vs Am will find a bunch of A chords

The entire text string is in the search box and I pull down the 1st chord

Now I strip off the text from the search box to get to the next chord and pull it down

…and repeat to get all the chords. About 5 seconds of work for each chord.

You need to be in the CoF pane for this search approach to work.

1 Like

Yep… guess it depends on how many chords you are dragging and dropping.

Which is ironic, as it’s a fab app though it’s the detection I struggle with the most (audio).