Make the chord complex first, and then make the chord simple

I’ll discuss a problem with you today. Can we first make the chord more complex through scaler, which is more conducive to finding out the melody line and accompaniment
Then find out the melody, and then make the chord simple to use.

C - Am
If it becomes complex Cmaj add9 - Amin9

You can get more sounds to find good melodies

But, C - Am is still used in the end

What is stopping you from doing that now?

1 Like

Starting with complex is my specialty - I usually say “we can always make it simpler later” :wink:

If I want to start with some complex expressions/voicing of a simple chord, say A min, I use this method…

1. I pick a scale, say A minor

2. In section B, where all the scale chords are listed now, I pick “VARIATIONS”

3. Select “TONIC”

4. And then pick any of the more complex expressions of the A chord within A minor scale.

I am sure there’s another way to do this also with the Circle of Fifths, I’ll let someone else chime in on that.

1 Like

I feel that complex chords help me find more sounds, generate inspiration and melody.
Simple chords can help you start other software more flexibly. Because other software may not be able to implement too complex chords. For example, some virtual guitar instruments VST
Of course, in fact, I still hope that scaler can edit output in performance mode, but it has not been implemented yet.

I thought you were asking a question but you were just making an observation or telling people what you do with chords. My misunderstanding.
I like chords with more colors most of the time. I use the simple chords for Instruments that only handle triads like Sonokinetic’s orchestral libraries based of phrases or some guitar libraries. But then I will orchestrate other instruments to fill out the missing colors like the 9ths, 11ths, etc.

got it. Thank you for sharing your experience.
In fact, I use “chordposition” or “hexachords orb producer suite” every day to help me complete some accompaniment fabrics.
However, they have a problem that they do not export according to the music classification, so it will be very messy in the end.
How I expect scaler to improve this function.
The basis for perfecting this function is chord.
At present, the best chord software in the world is scaler, so I look forward to scaler further helping people export accompaniment texture according to music classification.
However, I haven’t seen the scaler team work in this direction.
However, I think it will come true soon.
Because as short videos become more and more popular, it is very important to make music simply and quickly.
This is not contradictory to the long production of a classic song, but to meet different needs.

@swingmix are you composing/making music for fun, or do you produce for audiences, or even professionally? Just curious…

Ha ha, that’s a good question.
My knowledge of music is limited, but I write lyrics well and I shoot videos well.
Then I need to add my own music.
If someone needs a piece of music, I don’t do it.
But I need a piece of music and I will make it myself.
I make music for myself. It’s a hobby, but it’s also part of work.

Cool, sounds like you’re into something like videography? Do you have anything you made you would be comfortable sharing with the community?

My works have their own characteristics, especially in the lyrics.
Music accompaniment, I use my understanding of computer and various new software to make up for my lack of music knowledge.
There should be more and more people like me.
Between professional and hobby, I hope to have my own original music, but I don’t want to spend a lot of time and energy.
I hope that one day, music production can become faster and more convenient.

My content has strong local characteristics.
In addition, there is an agreement with the local TV station, which cannot be uploaded to the network.
I still hope to exchange more scaler related content, experience and suggestions on new functions here.

I have been using scaler and NI picked nylon in recent days

Ok got it. You are famous, you are on TV! :wink:
No pressure, just curious…

Haha, I was on TV 15 years ago.
But the problem now is that no one watches TV.
I’m looking at my cell phone.
Mobile phones need to be made faster.
I also hope to do some content on my mobile phone.
So I need to make it faster and more convenient.
For example, scaler, ezkey, ezbass and ujam are all good, but they are not perfect.
Maybe it will be easier in another 10 years.

I love EZbass, but if you need a faster/easier bass try Broomstick Bass
I use it for every song each day, notably jamming where its drums-like metronome is very cosy, and I use EZbass just for songs I want to mix & max

Broomstick Bass has MIDI out BTW, so you can directly draw any other bass while jamming

And, please send us your picture with your signature, before you’ll get awarded the next VMOTY

:grin:

Not one piece of music software in the history of music software has ever been perfect. To keep asking for perfection is a path toward madness and unproductive attempts at creativity. Sometimes it’s best to embrace the limitations and imperfections as a strength instead of a weakness. One piece of software will never do all of what you need. Maybe think of what a software can do rather then what it can’t do.
NOTE: I am not saying don’t ask for new features because that’s how software gets better. Devs need to know what works and doesn’t work for the majority of users. All I’m saying is, don’t expect it to ever be perfect.
[Just my opinion of course and I am often wrong.]

2 Likes

You are right.
I agree very much. Thank you very much

I guess Broomstick Bass is the predecessor of UJAM’s virtual bass player?

1 Like

Some developer was in BB, but the philosophy is changed IMHO
BB is an automatic bass that follows chords automatically and whose metronome sounds like a basic drums, so it’s irreplaceable for jamming, and I use EZbass (or UJAM if I bought it) just when I want to polish a song

I tried UJAM, but abandoned it because its usable keyboard doesn’t match with the Scaler ones
And because its patterns sound almost identical to my ears, even if they are apparently several, and cannot be increased in number because they don’t sell packages

With the possible exception of Frank Zappa, whose score-sheets even contained the precise timing of sighs & burps
:crazy_face: :rofl: