Midi detection in Ableton

I’m not sure if this came across already.
I was trying to midi detect a psy trance Arp of 8 notes running at 140 bpm that I’ve recorded as a midi clip.
Scaler was unable to detect it. When I’ve extended the notes to play a bit longer, It did manage to see the notes played.
I’ve discovered that if I lower the sequencer speed Scaler has no problem detecting the midi notes played.

Scaler is designed to detect chords - notes played at the same time. An ARP by definition is one note at a time. Since you have the notes what are you attempting to do exactly? What is it you want Scaler to do with the notes?

I’ve used Scaler to detect midi notes in sequence to suggest scales for harmonies. How long were the notes in your sequence.

1 Like

The notes are 1/32 long and two measures long. 16 notes per measure. They were captured from the Ableton arpeggio. I have in total 32 notes firing at 140 bpm. At first I thought I was doing something wrong with the setup. Now it just seams that the Psy-Trance Arp is just too fast. Now that I know the work around, I can definitely live with it. As long as I know what to do. I just wondered if any one had the same experience and I thought of mentioning the issue.

Scaler can detect scales too. My work around is just based on lowering the tempo of the project giving the scaler engine to detect or process the information.

Yes it can detect scales. But it’s strength is in detecting chords. So if i understand your reasoning, you want scaler to tell you what scale the notes are used in. Have you drag and dropped the MIDI clip on to Scaler to detect that way?

No I haven’t provided the notes to scaler with a midi file as I’m sure that it will work that way. I was just trying the real time detection method.

Sometimes twiddling with the sensitivity helps, especially with short notes. However, as @jamieh says, Scaler’s forte is with chords. Also, Scaler does not take timing into consideration.

I tend to use Zplane’s deCoda for notes, and it works well with trancy stuff. You can then key the detected chords into scaler and then enhance them as required.

Ok thanks for your reply… I did not think of the sensitivity. I will reproduce the same situation with a higher sensitivity see if it will detect it. I’ve seen Dave build songs starting with detecting notes in scales.
When you start this way, scaler will try to give an estimate of the scale given the keys it has processed.

The sensitivity slider is related to the detection by the “Audio Engine” . I haven’t seen such a parameter for the midi detection.

No, correct, silly me. That’s because I normally am dumping in sequences from synths in audio. Not thinking ! (Hence the comment about Zplane, which analyses audio.)

Are you sure that David didn’t simply use Scaler to produce chords from just one key a time?

Because I think to remember an old thread where devs and others said that Scaler doesn’t recognize notes and arpeggios, so using it for notes sounds odd to me

Anyway, I’ll try that later

Hi

No problems with quavers in a bar at 140 BPM in Cakewalk, but I have found a similar issue with demi-semi-quavers at 120 BPM on a 2-bar loop in Cakewalk.

It worked ok for me on semi-quavers in Cakewalk at 120 BPM. Slowing the tempo to 90 BPM and it worked with no problems on dem-semi-quavers.

I suspect rather than a bug this may be down to the amount of processing the DAW needs to detect the notes.

My spec for this pc is

cpu: Intel(R) Core™ i7-10750H CPU @ 2.60GHz 2.59 GHz
RAM 16GB

OS Windows 10

I am sure. Scaler 2 Plugin Tutorial & In Depth Overview - YouTube. If scaler can detect a chords it surely can detect notes.

Agree, I believe that scaler engine processing is the “issue” here. Buy slowing things down a bit it’s able to detect is all without a problem. So, not a real or big issue.

OK; Scaler detect notes

Now, out of idle curiosity: what’s the purpose to drop notes and have chords?
Do you have a melody in mind maybe, and you want the chord to instruct a guitar player, a singer?
:thinking:

I’ve created a catchy riff in an arp which I liked. Scaler detect or matches the possible scales to which the riff belongs. I can then form the chords and bass lines based on the scales that Scaler provided.

2 Likes

AHA, now I get it
for the bass part I would just use the Toontrack Audiosender, but for other instruments it makes sense

Hmm, Toontrack Audiosender, never heard of it. Looks promising, I will look in to it.

Of course, the premise of Scaler was based on many years making music and never knowing how to progress things musically if say, I was creating a riff or ostinato on 303. I always wondered why a music program wasn’t around that detected what I was doing and suggested scales and diatonic chords belonging to those scales. As I have said before it’s Scaler’s raison d’être only with everyone else behind the software it’s become something more extensive.

3 Likes