Moving Scaler chords in EzKeys

here we discussed the way to move chords from EzKeys in Scaler, but the other way is interesting as well, even more interesting, and super easy:

1. Manipulate a series of chords in Scaler
  2. Record that series of chords in Scaler using the recorder in Section C
  3. Drag & drop the MIDI in Ezkeys
  4. Put in loop the series of chords in EzKeys
  5. Try all your EzKeys stuff (that is in the browser) :smiley:
    wonderful!
3 Likes

Never thought about trying in THAT way, good idea. Will try!

2 Likes

What is the award for having suggested a trick the Boss didn’t know?
:laughing:

For a “rabbit” :rabbit: composer? a carrot :carrot:, of course.

1 Like

OUCH!
Why I didn’t call myself Gold Rabbit?
LOL

And here is the output with Scaler 2 + Ezkeys + AAS Strum GS + EzBass + EzDrummer

Steps:
Record a series of chords (Scaler-State_2021-02-13_011323.xml (6.8 KB) in Scaler using the recorder in Section C (I plucked chords by hand)
drag & drop the MIDI in Ezkeys
apply an Ezkeys pattern: I think it was a rock one, and here is the result EZkeys song.mid (10.8 KB)
put AAS Strum GS in “Guitar mode”
create an arpeggio using 4 different AAS Strum GS riffs from this set
(I don’t remember if I used exactly the riffs the red lines point to)

and here is the result Pop Arp 3 115-bpm B.mid (3.8 KB)

set AAS Strum GS to receive chords from Ezkeys

This way AAS Strum GS follows Ezkeys automatically, but sometimes the arpeggio is wrong or stops, likely because AAS Strum GS is unable to recognize certain odd chords, and I am usually unwilling to edit anything
:laughing:

then I added EzBass (fed by the Ezkeys MIDI) and EzDrummer

What do you mean “try all your stuff in the browser.”? What browser?

1 Like

I mean the browser of EzKeys with tons of patterns inside :smiley:
They can be applied one after one, until you hear your preferred one
then click on Replace, and you’ll be able to drag & drop it elsewhere

BTW, “elsewhere” means that the MIDI can be placed in any plugin that lets you drag a MIDI, so I suppose this workflow can apply to many others

I just found that one step can be skipped!
Here is the alternative work-flow

1. Manipulate a series of chords in Scaler’s Section C and select all them with the lasso
  2. Drag & drop the series of chords in Ezkeys
    The only drawback of this alternative workflow is that you have to set manually the song-key
    but the advantage is that you spare the time needed to record
    then go on as previously explained
  3. Put in loop the series of chords in EzKeys
  4. Try all your EzKeys stuff (that is in the browser)
1 Like

In Studio One you can’t drop midi from a track into EZkeys. You can record it in by putting it on the track and hit record in EZkeys while playing.

I can drop midi from EZkeys to EZbass ok by opening both windows at the same time.

1 Like

I think I can do it in Ableton as well, but I was referring to a way to skip recording in Scaler’s Section C… :wink:

The good thing using open plugins, is that there are different ways to reach the same result

cheers

You can use ezkeys (i dont use always) and you can use Nora Arp too,Nora is a little bit better for grooving.In Ezkeys you need to be careful about preset sessions including bridge,verse etc.Use them from same folders.

1 Like

Hi

thanks for your suggestion
I had Nora, and even if I used it to produce some nice vibe, I don’t like it
moreover, the project is dead

You cant drag directly from a track in studio one to ez keys.
You can drag the midi to the files tab is studio one where you leave a folder for studio one drag and drop/export files.
Drag and hold the option/alt key.
Depending on your content you see options. Repeatedly pressing alt will toggle to.
select midi in this case.
Then drag that midi export to ex keys.
It only takes 2 seconds when you have a recognizable folder set up as a receptacle.
You can also drag directly from scaler to studio one’s files tab in the same manner.

1 Like

I would appreciate if you could explain to me how you do to set the green keys on the scaler

Hi @Pancon , take a look at this discussion thread, it just so happened that this was recently discussed… Can Scaler2 play all patterns in sequence? - #9 by Bernd

Hi Claudio,
Thanks for your contribution regarding EZ keys.
The combination of Scalar progressions and EZ keys midi is alluring.

However, from my own experimentation, it relies on the EZ keys programming when it converts the MIDI to a different chord progression.
And unfortunately this is the weakest link.
I find that the magic of the original piano performances is lost and the MIDI phrases become haphazard.
Unless you chose a very simple MIDI file to work with.
But I prefer the more colourful MIDI phrases with embellishments.

I’m still trying to think of a way to solve this problem.
Have you found anything?

mmm, it seemed to me it was the opposite: the Scaler pattern was embellished by the EZkeys MIDI, but maybe I don’t understand your post
it’s late and I was going to sleep :grin:

I read again it tomorrow

Don’t worry, I figured out what I was doing wrong.
I was including arpeggios in my Scaler MIDI.
If you just export plain chords it works very well!

1 Like

I’m happy you got it
happy music