Multi Out with Multi-timbral synths. MIDI routing basic tips and DAW Setups

Hey @TMacD, as I mentioned I’ve updated the support document with this Studio One method for working with multi-timbral plug-ins, however Davide’s post was made before the update. I’ve edited his post to reflect the updated document to avoid further confusion. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @rogueactor, thanks for the info. I’ve been testing FL Studio with Scaler 2.7 Multi-Voice Output, and both VST2 and VST3 versions of Scaler look to be working great with multi-timbral plug-ins, provided both are on the same MIDI port. Have tried with Kontakt 6 (VST3) and Kontakt 7 and (VST3).

I haven’t however had any luck triggering multiple mono-timbral plug-ins across multiple instrument tracks/channels as there doesn’t seem to be any way of isolating individual MIDI channels. Each instrument is receiving all of Scaler’s MIDI output channels (unless the receiving instrument plug-in lets you specify a MIDI input channel). Have you tried this in FL Studio? Just wanted to check here in case someone has a solution before we update the official document. Cheers!

You need to set the input channels on the instruments you are sending to. Scaler is just sending everything out. Make sure Multi Out is turned on in preferences.
Channel 1 sends everything
Channel 2 Lowest notes
Channel 3 Next highest notes, etc.
Depends on how many notes in your chords.

This thread goes over it in detail.

Thanks @jamieh I’m with you. I’m just checking if anyone more familiar with FL Studio than myself knows if this is possible in FL Studio specifically (aside from possibly doing it within the plugin itself as you would with the different timbres in Kontakt). I know this is possible in other DAWs such as Reaper (using MIDI sends restricted to certain channel ranges), but not FL Studio as far as I am aware.

Hi @Tristan I can confirm that VST3 is also working as you experienced.

Regarding supporting multiple mono-timbral plug-ins I was able to get this working in FL Studio using Patcher and VFX Color Mapper. Scaler 2.7 is set to out to a specific MIDI port. In Patcher the “From FL Studio” is then set to the same MIDI Out port. You then add VFX Color Mapper and you make sure you have all 5 MIDI channels activated for output connecting from “From FL Studio”. Next you simply add different mono-timbral plug-ins inside Patcher and connect each MIDI out (2-5) from VFX Color Mapper to the input of the newly added plug-ins. They will each receive the specific note on the channel. Please see attached screenshot for a visual.

1 Like

Thanks @rogueactor, that’s great. I had a feeling there would be a Patcher related solution. It’s a little fiddly but does the job, so we’ll add this to the support document. Thanks again!

Hi there. I am new to the forum but I am using Scaler 2.7 with Ableton Live Suite 11.2.6. I have used the multi output without any problem by putting a Scaler instance as a midi layer in Plugin Guru’s Unify. I then have Kontakt 6 as an instrument layer (for example) and have 4 different string instruments from Kirk Hunter strings receiving on channels 2-5 with the basses on 2, cellos on 3, violas on 4, and violins on 5. Works like a charm. I know the Blue Cat plugin was suggested for Ableton but Unify from Plugin Guru is not only cheaper, but it is a very versatile and incredible instrument in its own right. Make sure to use the VST2 version of Scaler as that works better inside of Unify.

I can also use Omnisphere 2.8 inside of Unify with Scaler 2.7 with a multi patch and it works just great. I have Kontakt 7 but have seen the hanging issue that has been reported and is supposedly fixed so I reverted to Kontakt 6 for this to work without issue.

1 Like

@kpsiegel I didn’t see what OS you are using? I assume Windows?

Yes, my apologies I am using Windows 10.

Edit: I also would like to point out that Unify works with MacOS also and as of 1.9.1 I believe it has native M1 support.

I have just made another discovery @davide you can use Scaler 2.7s Multi Out functionality with the Hyperion modular synth and Logic Pro. Hyperion supports combi presets - presets made up of multiple preset layers and each of these layers can be assigned to separate MIDI channels. As you know I’d been experimenting with Falcon and Scaler Multi Out, so I duplicated that track inside Logic and replaced Falcon with Hyperion and loaded a combi patch. By soloing individual MIDI channels within Falcon (which I know supports multi out properly) and Hyperion I could confirm that Hyperion was also supporting multi out accurately.

More info about Hyperion here: https://www.hyperionsynth.com/

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up about Hyperion. 3 month trial! I’m going to try it,

1 Like

4 clicks just to see the price…
I believed because it was much expensive, but it isn’t
strange web design :astonished:

2 Likes

Yes… multi clicks to find the price. Bad idea for sales really. Well now to see how it sounds.

How many presets does it have ? I’m too old to spend much time on something of that complexity … . I’ve hardly had any time to look at Absynth and Massive I got in an NI bundle offer some time ago.

Sadly, we’ve missed the Black Friday offer, whatever that was.

1 Like

I tried the beta of Hyperion last year. VERY steep learning curve. You’d be better off investing your time learning Bitwigs Grid.

2 Likes

Great that you signed up for the Hyperion trial … hope you enjoy it. There is a discord server and YT channel for advice. I hope to post a video about how to use Scaler multi out with Hyperion and Falcon as soon as I get time to make it…

There’s several hundreds presets and the developer releases more with each update. Actually the developer is very customer-focused and updates the app regularly

Being a modular synth if you are new to modular the learning curve is there, but it’s much simpler than VCV Rack!

Yes, I agree. My point is it’s like The Grid for people who haven’t got Bitwig, which makes it an unnecessary purchase for me.:+1:t2:

There is a bug in the Hyperion installer. It offers a choice of location for the files, and I selected k: (the main location of al programs), but the VST wasn’t pick up by the DAW.

I discovered that it had installed that in k: as well (in spite of the web site saying it would be installed in the normal place).

Anyway, a trivial fix, but I thought I’d flag it for anyone else who doesn’t sink the system drive under a mount of application crap.