Multiple instances in Live 11 will not sync

I have 3 instances of Scaler 2.7.2 within the same live set and no matter what I have tried and how many times I have clicked the ‘Refresh’ button I cannot get any of them to connect to each other even when they are all open at the same time.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you opened one Scaler that has the chords in it the way you want and Clicked on the Blue Logo on the upper left? When you click on the Blue Log on the upper left you’ll see several things. Choose SYNC.

Then you will see a list of different ways to sync. You can choose any but if you want one Master Scaler that controls all the others choose Live Sync at the bottom. Each of the black squares is a check box that you need to choose before Scaler knows what to sync. Then click the sync button. If you want Live Sync you just need to choose that one.
Now that Scaler is leader and the others are followers. You make changes in ONLY in the LEADER. All others will follow. You should see how many Scalers are connected. If you don’t something is wrong.
Screen Shot 2023-01-09 at 2.25.12 PM

Davide talks about Live sync here —

Hi Jamieh,

Thank you for your reply and the information.

I probably should have provided a screen-shot…

My problem is that neither of the instances appear to ‘see’ the others?

Hi, I’ve just had a look at this on my Windows 10 Live 11 system and I found a similar issue.

On my system the synchronisation was being shown, although it did take about two seconds for it to appear. But, I was not getting any playback from the slaves until I routed the midi from the master to the slaves.

Once I invoked this routing everything was working, and the delay in showing the sync did not seem to affect the timing on playback.

I don’t know if this is any help, but…

Hi ed66,

Thank you for your reply.

I’ve just checked the routing and all looks good…

But still no other instances are recognised no matter which instance I pick and how many times I click refresh…

Have you tried checking the box to tell it what kind I sync you want?
I see nothing checked in your screen shots.

I have…

but the selection is cleared when you click refresh

ADDENDUM: [Can you try opening a New session of Ableton and starting from scratch with just 2 Scalers and nothing else?] Also, I am on Mac and not Windows. Please try the New blank session though as a starting point.

Are you pushing SYNC before you refresh? You shouldn’t even need to refresh if it sees the other one. Here is the order for me.

2 Instances add chords etc. to the main Scaler. Open sync. Try opening Sync ONLY on the MAIN Scaler. You only need to do this on one, not all of them.

Hit boxes you want checked. Now Scaler should see the other Scalers. Not nothing changes on the other sync menu.

Second will sync. ALWAYS sync from the MAIN Scaler.

A coupleof points:

1. It loooks as if there may be an issue with the REFRESH button on Sync when you are synchronising the Progression Builder (I never use the REFRESH button). However, as you only synchronise the Progression Builder at the start of a song, and not part-way through, I think you should be clicking on the SYNC button at the bottom of the panel

I have found that this works for me

1. On the routing I see your midi routing for the two slave Scalers is set to “All Ins” and “All Channels”. I suggest that you could try setting it to “SCALER Organ” and “Scaler 2” assuming that SCALER Organ is your master. Then try syncing the Scalers using the SYNC button.

That’s not how sync works. Scalers do not require MIDI input from the other Scalers like that. It’s all internal.

You are correct. I am just trying to eliminate any issue that may be causing this problem, but @FretPilot you can try first ignoring my suggestion about routing.

I would like to clarify if @FretPilot you are trying the REFRESH button when syncing the Scalers.

I would also suggest only opening the sync window on the main Scaler at first and sync using that one.

Just to clarify things…
Is this your first version of Scaler, latest update?
Did you reboot the computer after installing Scaler?

ADDENDUM: [Can you try opening a New session of Ableton and starting from scratch with just 2 Scalers and nothing else?]

Are you pushing SYNC before you refresh?
I can’t as the button is disabled.

You shouldn’t even need to refresh if it sees the other one. Here is the order for me.
That’s what I believe

2 Instances add chords etc. to the main Scaler. Open sync. Try opening Sync ONLY on the MAIN Scaler. You only need to do this on one, not all of them.
That’s what I tried to do, but it doesn’t work

Thanks

I’m only clicking the refresh button because I have the issue of Scaler not ‘seeing’ the other instance.

I updated Scaler to 2.7.2 when I couldn’t get the ‘sync’ option to work in 2.7.0 and yes I have rebooted since updating.

Thanks

I’m running out of ideas. Haven’t heard of this problem. Did it ever work with any version? Is that the latest version of Live?

According to the @FretPilot screenshot, he has never selected the button on the very bottom, but just PROGRESSION BUILDER (Section C): maybe this is the issue

I always select LIVE SYNC instead, like e.g. Jamieh