Music and education

Yes, the experience was incredible. Or so my brain says. You know that we have a great ally with the brain, which is capable of preferably keeping the good, or the best. It’s like an A.I. prepared for that. And, thank goodness …
In order not to lose the thread, I would like to say that the subject of music and education has a lot to do with that. With the interest that arises in our Non-Artificial Intelligence, which is based on what we instinctively want to do and what our loved ones tell us we should do.
I have had students to whom, finally, I have asked: what do you like about music? “Nothing” is the terrible reply I received.
So if this is not a required education, why do you come here? Who likes music in your house? “To my father”. Well, let your father come to class, I replied.
Music is not mandatory for anyone, although it is scientifically proven that it is good for carbon units. There is scientifically proven data that say that Egyptians used music to cure insomnia and reduce pain. Pythagoras used it to control anger and to develop intelligence. Mozart’s music is still used so that plants and animals produce more without feeling bad about it, and etc … Music manages to balance us in our lives.
The role of music teachers should be to encourage and develop skills, but something has to come from one’s own home. If you don’t want it, make room for someone else who does.
And, also if:
Music has no borders. In Scaler users, as you well say, there are many ways of seeing, understanding or approaching music. Sure we are not all thinking about music in the same way or style, but they are all positive. Surely it is because Scaler is a useful tool for any style of music, as long as you want to learn

2 Likes

Being an “older” user as well, I definitely relate to your post and often think about the same things. I grew up during a time where all of these AMAZING music technology marvels were non-existent. To really be able to create quality music, you would have had to have some semblance of music knowledge and training. Otherwise, you were just tinkering around with your synth or midi sequencer. What we have now is ridiculously fantastic. Things like Scaler are game-changers! Not only does it inspire seeking music theory, but it also sparks creativity for people that have the knowledge and know how to use it to their advantage… but I digress. :slight_smile:

1. As a kid, I attempted “musical” training via learning on the guitar. I recall it being a horrible experience, and frankly, I wanted to learn chords and not notation. I wanted to make the music I was hearing, and not go by the book… in any case, that really dissuaded me.

2. Fast forward to our current era, where learning music theory is abundantly simpler and more accesible via YouTube, Scaler, and other auto-theory affordances in DAWs. People can harness that knowledge via clicks of the mouse and create gorgeous music. What a wondrous age.

I strongly believe tools like Scaler, not only facilitate the creation of music, but for people like myself, it becomes a fantastic educational tool towards building on my music theory super powers. No more tinkering around. :slight_smile:

1 Like

In theory, I had 2 years of music in primary school but our teacher was very well connected and was only claiming salary (work being optional) - the only “instrument” I remember playing was football :rofl:. Back then I didn’t care; right now I regret it a lot.
As a teenager, I did learn how to play guitar but it was my friends that tought me (chords of corse - no theory whatsoever). Good times… :rofl:
Started to play piano 2 years ago - no formal training, no youtube, no nothing - just looking for good sounding keys and getting wild with it :rofl:.
I guess I reached the point where intuitive playing ends and started looking for a primer in music theory.
And this is how I met Scaler :rofl:.

Pressing keys all the time. With a mouse, I mostly draw drums and, of corse, quantization and corrections on recorded midi. Sometimes a quick bass.

My parents tried to ram guitar and violin down my throat but as a petulant child I steadfastly refused so missed that pathway. Got into DJ’ing as a young teenager and became a successful DJ. Met some friends who had a recording studio, made some tunes and that took off. Moved to the UK started a label, worked with many producers and then joined a composition house where I had no theory and was regularly yelled at for writing in a minor key even though I was convinced I was in major. Studied music theory in my thirties. Have really picked it up in the last ten years by composing. Scaler has embedded the ‘sound’ of theory and my history is the reason why I always dreamed of such a tool.

4 Likes

hahaha, very funny and very patient colleagues anyway
:rofl:

That evolution and the vision arising from it shines through. We used to have a saying about our software product’s users that there was ‘no nit too small to pick’ . It’s easy to miss the underlying concepts and scope of Scaler for transforming peoples musical journey by seamlessly integrating theory with hearing it and experimenting with just a click.

All software has bugs and the Scaler authors are pretty responsive IMHO, so don’t lets miss the bigger picture of what Davide and team have done.

I’m unaligned and not a shareholder, I hasten to say :relaxed:

1 Like

Whew, so glad to hear I am not the only one who believes that minor key sounds better than major, this whole “sad”/“happy” BS…

1 Like