MusicXML integration

As a ‘footnote’, The MIDI-Compatible Part of MusicXML | MusicXML 4.0 makes for interesting reading, at first glance.

(1) The primary goal of MusicXML is clearly stated as being about sheet music and the interchange thereof. . But sheet music and notation is about documentation of some musical work, not the production of same. The key question in this thread is whether presence or absence of notation facilities in some music application is the key determinant of whether that application is 'professional or a “toy”.

(2) For the actual rendering of some documented music into something which can actually be heard, the specification is also clear " The only elements that are required, though, are the sounding elements that relate directly to creating a MIDI file from MusicXML." Read that again; as far as the the generation of the end product, MusicXML appears to add nothing standards related than the generation of a MIDI file - it’s about MIDI import, which Scaler does very well.

(3) If music creators wish to exchange the actual realisation of a composition, they can only do so by means of some binary encapsulation of audio or - by MIDI. Notation exchange alone does not help one jot.

(4) It was interesting to note that a Google search for “MusicXML and mpe” produced 1 hit; and it’s very hard to only get one hit from Google. So on the most important MIDI developments in 37 years - MIDI 2.0 and MPE - it is silent, in the public domain at least. Hard to tag that as being a standard which should be mandatory for a “real” product.

(5) So speaking as an amateur dubstep headbanger (says he, bending over to snort a line), and a ‘non-reader’, stave wise, to boot, notation doesn’t figure in my product selection criteria. Fortunately, music application vendors in the mass market (I’m not including AVID here) need us bedroom techno-grunge-EDM types to have an economic framework to survive.

1 Like

[quote=“ClaudioPorcellana, post:3, topic:7430”]
“Uno degli aspetti piacevoli di Scaler è questo forum in cui scambiare consigli ed esperienze in un clima rilassato, a volte anche umoristico :smile: [/quote]
One of the pleasant aspects of Scaler is this forum where you can exchange advice and experiences in a relaxed, sometimes even humorous atmosphere. :smile:
Hello.
First of all, I want to remind you that this is a pleasant forum in which we usually share experiences in the use that each one of us makes of our “favorite toy”. Here, in addition, when someone asks something and a colleague knows something about the subject, they contribute to help others. Also here we make wishes, as if Ed1 and Davide were our geniuses of the wonderful lamp (Aladdin). And that this “toy” only costs € 50. Can you imagine a forum like this about programs that cost € 1,000? Personally, for me the possibility of exporting from Scaler in MusicXML format would be great. But, as I say, and as the title of this forum topic says: it is only a wish that I ask. Scaler is useful to me in my workflow and will continue to use it even if MusicXML is not implemented. It also won’t be a problem if you can’t implement chord swapping in negative harmony. I do it manually, because I have practiced it, and it is fun for me. But it’s another wish for our favorite Aladdins.
Regarding amateurs or professionals, I will say that I have been a professional since I was 13 years old (I am 61 now), and I have never had the slightest doubt about it: Music is what it sounds like, regardless of whether the person who writes or interprets it is an amateur or a professional. . The feeling of “I like it” has certainly annoyed much better written music, or much more respectful of form, tonality, etc … But, without a doubt for me, the path of progress is that. We would never have evolved by staying static. We have to move, and the one who remains standing, well worse for him. Insult or contempt never works. It is respect that makes us grow, without a doubt.
For this reason, and going back to the beginning, I ask, please, that we continue as always, respecting each other and contributing what we can to the other colleagues. As I read yesterday to Claudio Porcellana: “One degli aspetti piacevoli di Scaler è questo forum in cui scambiare consigli ed espeienze in a rilassato climate, a volte anche umoristico :smile:

3 Likes

It is great to be able to drop a MIDI file onto Scaler for detection/analysis and creation of chord pads, but transferring chord progressions specifically as hoped for is not as straightforward as it might seem before you try it.

Getting a good MIDI file analysis into chords from Scaler seems to require a very clean Type 0 file containing the only the bass notes and chords, in root position, in block formation, etc.

Creating such a MIDI file is often a big ordeal in itself.

With MusicXML, OTOH, you can export the chords, just the chords, as named chords, in an absolutely unambiguous way.

The MIDI file approach and the MusicXML approach are really two different animals. They each have their uses, and would be appropriate to different situations IMO.

P.S. Whether MIDI file or MusicXML, it would be great if Scaler could accept and analyze information pasted from the clipboard.

How dare you to hint that rabbit composer is not a serious professional musician?
I throw down the gauntlet to the carrot death
:rofl: :carrot:

rr
Arggh ! To be rogered by a rabbit - This is a challenge I dare not accept and thus concede! Quite right to call me out…

I guess the vast majority of Live users are (a) serious, to have laid out X euros for it, then all the plugins (b) musicians - obviously all are judging by the sample of the board postings and Utube, (c) professional, in that they are “competent or skilled in a particular activity” - which again they clearly are.

However, I meant the three words to be taken ‘in toto’, which brings in the other definition of professional " Engaged in a specified activity as one’s main paid occupation rather than as a pastime" .

So maybe it should have read that the majority of Live users probably (???) do not run Audi R8’s or spend summer on their yacht in Monaco entirely funded by their musical activities; but like all made up guessed statistics (I have no real idea) it is probably sterco di cavallo

1 Like

Still, until MusicXML is implemented drag and drop works for me. Super easy to edit after the fact. If MusicXML comes to Scaler that would be great but I can still do most of what I want. Scaler 3 promises to be amazing when it arrives even without MusicXML and 2.4 has so many things I haven’t even had time to try yet.

Now these things are better demonstrated in a video :rofl:

Guys i am realy a bad girl. Seems i picked inside a wesp net with my professional statement.

The realy bad boy is my husband so realy wedid organize something.

Some do not know but its a little thing for my husband to put inside audio and video files some steganographie code inside. In fact if i set files to Creative Commons CC-BY-SA i wish to be shure Copyright is protected.

We did decide to put a composition to YouTube (Not my (Experimental Daniela Tocan Account) and its like a honeypot to find the Bad Boys in the Internet that claim for copyright that they have no right for.

Anyways we got one after 2 Minutes of time and Rest is a t hing of lawers i guess. The composition is Public Domain because done 1906. For an arrangement you can set yours copyright and the sounddesign. Funny thing is that YouTube is responsible First.
Have fun to Play my Scores.
https://musescore.com/user/35900317/scores/6815743

Do you mean this Toto?
:grinning:

It seems to me that this man (or Lord, or whatever) is too funny! I leave the forum. Perhaps because after 40 years dedicated to professional music teaching, after having played the Mozart concerto as a bassoon soloist when I was 15 years old accompanied by the Chamber Orchestra of the Mozarteum in Salzburg, after teaching everything I knew ( I never taught what I did not know, of course) I have not been able to have a yacht parked in Monaco …
In my defense I will say that my origins are in an oppressed family that lost the war and that defended the republic in my country. It is more important to me to know that my father was proud of me. Cow or horse poop maybe I had to eat it too many times.
I will also say that I was extremely lucky to always have great teachers. They weren’t just the best musicians. They were good, they loved me and they taught me everything they knew, also for free. That is why I feel obliged to do the same, both in my classes and wherever someone asks something that I know.
For that reason, I leave you my email address: jjfagot54@gmail.com
I thank professionals and non-professionals for the help they have always given me in the forum when I did not know anything, especially Davide, Ed1, Cluadio Porcellana, TMac, Bernd, etc … etc … …
I will be attentive to the updates and videos of this great program. Thanks for everything

1 Like

Oh no, @jjfagot!
Sorry to see you go :frowning: I hope your decision was not based on certain exchanges in the forum here? Will be looking forward to stay in touch with you, regardless of Scaler involvement. I always appreciated your contributions, musical and personal/professional perspectives. You will be missed!

Cheers my friend,
Bernd

Heavens, @jjfagot , I hope I wasn’t the trigger for your leaving. I was reacting the comment that non-professionals using Scaler were worthless headbangers. My posting was positing that the whole spectrum of folk who enjoy creating music were valid users of Scaler not just those (as the first poster implied) who were engaged in music as a sole commercial activity.

Seriously, I would rather drop off the board altogether myself than be the catalyst for your departure - say the word, and I am gone. The board will be poorer for not having your postings, but will not miss mine.

PS: my board picture is not actually of me (as you would have guessed) but of Louis-Francois Bertin, painted by Ingres.

1 Like

Please hang around @jjfagot, it’s important for us to have users such as yourself who can and do contribute to the development of scaler.

No, please @jjfagot don’t leave

Anyway, I take advantage of this event, to say I was also tempted to leave recently because of some people whose puns weren’t always clear… :thinking:

I am not speaking about @yorkeman because my zero knowledge of British slang prevents me totally understand what he really tells :rofl:

I am speaking about a couple of other people (one almost disappeared) who speak normal English, but don’t speak frankly sometimes, so I was often unable to get if they were simply being humorous, even sarcastic maybe, or just arrogant

But my natural optimism and self-mockery prevailed, so I am still here and well-disposed to remain

:rabbit2: :carrot:

1 Like

One thing that arose from the long gone British Empire was the wide use of the English language by many countries, but more importantly its growth as a ‘Lingua Franca’ - common tongue - for both verbal and written communication between peoples.

It is true, as @ClaudioPorcellana points out, that those whose native tongue it is forget its local peculiarities and idiosyncrasies when communicating with those who for whom it is not the mother tongue, and come from very different cultures.

I am guilty (amongst other things, of both idleness and implicit arrogance) of not transforming my comments into a form more suitable for a global community. Should I continue to contribute, I shall in future purge my responses of (a) the opacity of meaning so common in English which allows the writer to disclaim any accusation that some statement was in fact a soft criticism and (b) language constructs which are ‘local’ and hence not clear to non-natives of our small green island. Henceforth, ‘International English only’ shall be Yorkeman’s goal.

In my defence, There is an issue with both e-mail and boards that they are wholly impersonal. It is so easy, without the inflections which are essential in verbal communications, to convey a ‘tone’ which was not the writer’s intent. My sometimes laconic and mildly sarcastic comments were an attempt to soften raw words and avoid the divisiveness which so often characterises ‘social media’.

As a PS, and as an example of the above, I leave you with an English joke, which highlights the difficulty.

A man goes to his physician and says “Doctor, I have a strawberry growing out the top of my head”, to which the Doctor replies “Ok, you need some cream for that”

Most English folk will smile, whereas much of the rest of the world will look blank. The reason is that if you played a word association game in England and said “strawberry” the subject would probably say “cream”. Strawberries and cream are a quintessentially English summer treat, and ‘cream’ is the term generally applied to skin medication / unguents / lotions / emollients / ointments. It’s word play, and that makes us smile.

In the same vein, and the very last items of ‘humour’ I’ll post

** A man came up to me and asked “have you seen a policeman around here?” I said “No”, so he said “Right, stick 'em up”*

** A man walks into a psychiatrist’s office wearing only transparent plastic shorts, and the Doc says to him “Well, I can clearly see your nuts”*

{and a one that combines all the word play, English quirks and will leave most people scratching their heads, but will get a guffaw from a limey (aka English person)

• a man went to the Doctor and said “Doctor, I’ve got a cricket ball stuck up my ass”, and he said “How’s that ?” and I said “Don’t you start”.

{Davide might get that one :slight_smile: }

1 Like

that’s easy to understand, because I know what a “strawberry mark” is, but about the others
OT: I don’t have the foggiest idea
NOT OT: I need Scaler to compose a fog horn piece
:rofl:

I’ll send it t my British customer and let you see
:rofl:

In my case, the latter. Remember, Germans have no humor but a superiority complex :stuck_out_tongue:

:crazy_face: :laughing: :joy: :rofl: :innocent:

1 Like

Hello
After commenting with Claudio, who is a translator by profession, I am sure that it was all a misunderstanding. Although I studied English in my youth, I will say that I currently use Google Translator, and it is possible that something that is written as funny, in my translation it does not seem so much. It didn’t catch me in my prime either, surely.
Equally, I apologize. Our lives, our time (the most important thing) must not be wasted in absurd discussions. From the beginning, the Scaler forum seemed like a nice place to ask questions and answer if I knew anything. It is good to share with good people. I will be away for a while because I am quite overwhelmed with the end of the course. But in a few weeks, when I’m on vacation, I’ll be back for sure. I hope we meet again around here. Thanks

4 Likes

:grinning: okay, ich verstehe
gut gehen!