No Midi passing through Scaler 2 MidiFX plugin in Logic 10.7 on Monterey

Still broken on 10.7.1, hrmph. Come on Apple! You can do it!

Late but now I got the same issue with the 10.7.1. update sic!

I’m using Scaler 2.5 in Logic 10.7.1 Monterey 12.0.1…

the Midi FX version of Scaler is not producing any sound on my instrument! please fix this.

Please report the issue to Apple. This is an issue with all 3rd party midFX on Logic 10.7 and 10.7.1. It’s not a Scaler issue.

New Scaler user here. Like others here, I was disappointed to find that it wasn’t working in Logic MIDI FX. In fact, no other third party MIDI FX seems to be passing data to instruments. But curiously, Apple MIDI FX are working. I searched around and haven’t seen any solid solutions yet. But I did discover that switching OFF the Logic Pref for MIDI 2.0 got things going again. Not sure it’s performing as it should, but maybe there’s a hint there for the debugging team.

3 Likes

Good observation re Midi 2.0. For me that solves the problem of it not passing any midi through, but only for a single instance of Scaler. If I have Scaler midiFX on multiple tracks, only the most recently added one works.

Apple still got work to do :frowning:

You legend!
Turning off MIDI 2.0 worked!
This post should be pinned by the mods!
nice one!

1 Like

I just got a response from Plugin Boutique who say that Scaler requires that I purchase a $99 vst host (black cat patchwork) for it to work in Logic 10.7. That’s a pretty unsatisfying response and had I known about this flaw, I might not have purchased Scaler at all. I hope they come up with a real fix or start dishing out refunds. Sorry, I’m a bit annoyed.

It’s Apple you should be annoyed at. They are the ones that broke the Logic 3rd party MIDI FX functionality. They are the ones that need to fix it.

Yes. Just expressing general annoyance :slight_smile: I did file a bug report with Apple. Hope a fix comes sooner than later.

Did they say why ? I bought Blue Cat (suggested by Plugin Boutique) to try out Instacomposer (unimpressed) and found it was totally impractical to work with live - it’s conceptually flawed for that role as far as I can see.

However, there are several work rounds for that particular issue which are free.

What was the issue with Logic ? Was it the midi pass through ? I don’t see how Blue Cat could solve that.

No. They just pointed to some fine print in Scaler’s system requirements that say “Logic Pro 10.7 and above: No MIDI Routing, Use Blue Cat Patchwork”. Not really what I signed up.

That’s incorrect. It’s just that there is no MIDI routing with the AU version but that is only because the AU spec doesn’t include it. There is MIDI Scaler version included specifically for Logic. That one does route MIDI but Apple broke that and all other 3rd party MIDI fx. That one is called Scaler Control I believe.

On the note of Patchwork by Blue Cat you could use it with Logic or any DAW really. You can host Scaler (stand alone outside Logic) inside it and route MIDI to and from it to Logic. Not an elegant solution when you have multiple Scalers. Another alternative till Apple fixes this is Plogue Bidule
Very powerful app that is great for many things. It would be ideal.

Another option that’s been mentioned a couple of times in this forum, and which works well for me (since Maschine doesn’t route MIDI between plugins either) is UNIFY from PluginGuru.com

Unify (Standard Edition) - PluginGuru.com

I’ve asked PIB to change that, should be M1 users running Monterey and Logic 10.7.1
I would imagine this will be fixed very soon by Apple but implementation of Midi 2 makes sense as to why it’s been broken. Excellent spot and thank you!

Much appreciation! Looking forward to playing with Scaler once everything gets sorted out.

Logic 10.7.2 is out and nothing is fixed. So, this is on the Scaler devs now. Apple is NOT going to resolve whatever the issue is here because obviously they do not think it’s their problem. Read the Logic 10.7.2 release notes: Logic Pro release notes - Apple Support

Yeah, I’m so annoyed… It still doesn’t work.
I only tried it quick, but Logic’s internal midi fx seems to work to duplicate now at least, but not Scaler 2. This is the only reason I have to keep my old macbook and not sell it…

So then you’d agree that it is safe to assume that whatever this issue is is going to fall on the Scaler devs to fix? All the blame was being placed on Logic and everyone was saying they have to fix something. I think the 10.7.2 release today shows that is not going to happen.