No Midi passing through Scaler 2 MidiFX plugin in Logic 10.7 on Monterey

No. They just pointed to some fine print in Scaler’s system requirements that say “Logic Pro 10.7 and above: No MIDI Routing, Use Blue Cat Patchwork”. Not really what I signed up.

That’s incorrect. It’s just that there is no MIDI routing with the AU version but that is only because the AU spec doesn’t include it. There is MIDI Scaler version included specifically for Logic. That one does route MIDI but Apple broke that and all other 3rd party MIDI fx. That one is called Scaler Control I believe.

On the note of Patchwork by Blue Cat you could use it with Logic or any DAW really. You can host Scaler (stand alone outside Logic) inside it and route MIDI to and from it to Logic. Not an elegant solution when you have multiple Scalers. Another alternative till Apple fixes this is Plogue Bidule
Very powerful app that is great for many things. It would be ideal.

Another option that’s been mentioned a couple of times in this forum, and which works well for me (since Maschine doesn’t route MIDI between plugins either) is UNIFY from PluginGuru.com

Unify (Standard Edition) - PluginGuru.com

I’ve asked PIB to change that, should be M1 users running Monterey and Logic 10.7.1
I would imagine this will be fixed very soon by Apple but implementation of Midi 2 makes sense as to why it’s been broken. Excellent spot and thank you!

Much appreciation! Looking forward to playing with Scaler once everything gets sorted out.

Logic 10.7.2 is out and nothing is fixed. So, this is on the Scaler devs now. Apple is NOT going to resolve whatever the issue is here because obviously they do not think it’s their problem. Read the Logic 10.7.2 release notes: Logic Pro release notes - Apple Support

Yeah, I’m so annoyed… It still doesn’t work.
I only tried it quick, but Logic’s internal midi fx seems to work to duplicate now at least, but not Scaler 2. This is the only reason I have to keep my old macbook and not sell it…

So then you’d agree that it is safe to assume that whatever this issue is is going to fall on the Scaler devs to fix? All the blame was being placed on Logic and everyone was saying they have to fix something. I think the 10.7.2 release today shows that is not going to happen.

It’s possible that it has to do with the MIDI 2.0 spec. So it could be a drawn out thing. Still it’s Apple responsibility to fix Logic.

LOL. Apparently you don’t understand a DAW developers stance on 3rd party plug-ins very well. Apple is not going to fix anything in Logic to remedy this issue with Scaler. If they were it would of been done in 10.7.2. This isn’t a Logic issue any more. :wink:

it’s not just an issue with a single plugin though. All 3rd party MidiFX are broken (or at least all that I’ve tried). That’s a fundamental flaw in Logic’s functionality.

Did you read the release notes of Logic 10.7.2? They indicate they have fixed this. Therefore that would indicate to me that this problem with Scaler is beyond what Apple will fix.

I did not, but now I have.

It seems they’ve changed something though. I can now use two instances of Scaler, either with Midi 2.0 enabled or disabled. But if I add a third, it’s the same old deal, the first instance stops working. Tried adding a 4th and the whole DAW crashed.

Also hung notes have gotten worse - even before I press a key, a note plays as soon as I open Scaler about 80% of the time :confused:

Urg.

edit: and now two only works with Midi 2.0 enabled… (And turning Midi 2.0 on might cause Logic to crash, which is fun).

Not really my concern.

Although the post is a bit older I have to reply to it as this is a wrong information. Scaler works absolutely fine with Logic 10.7 on Monterey 12.2 and 12.2.1. Most of the glitches have been fixed. No need to purchase another tool to use with Logic.

Hi! Today I installed the new Monterey 12.3, and Logic 10.7.3 and it’s the first time Scaler 2 and MIDI FX seems to work on the new Macbook Pro M1 Pro/Max ! At last !!

There was a stuck note at one point when recording… I was running it on Logic Rosetta most of the day, so not sure if the stuck note was on Rosetta version or native Logic. I didn’t open any old projects with MIDI FX Scaler 2’s either yet. Did someone else notice any other problems?

Hi @Ken

yes, it seems to be better in the latest Logic 10.7.3.
I have just tried on one machine so far but the changelog seems to confirm something was wrong with Logic: Logic Pro release notes - Apple Support

1 Like

I found that if the MIDI 2.0 pref is turned on in Logic, then Scaler won’t pass chord data to the Instrument plug-in. It only sends single notes. Found that to be also true with every 3rd party MIDI FX plug. Set MIDI 2.0 off and it seems to be working.

Yeah, I noticed the same re Midi 2.0. Otherwise it’s performing about the same as in 7.2 for me. Still got fairly common sticking notes, and I still need to feed each instance midi via either keyboard or a midi region before I’m able to trigger a chord by clicking on it in the Scaler UI.

Way better than it was in the 7.1 days, but still some annoyances.