Notes of Polyphony?

I’m wanting to use Scaler to create Midi patterns that can drive external devices, like a synth or Eurorack. What options does it have to determine or control the number of notes of polyphony? Can it do note patterns as well as chord patterns? Or are all levels of polyphony cast in stone as provided? I presume they vary. I expect the answer to be this is the wrong tool if you are asking that question. But I hope I’m wrong. For the record I use Studio One 5.

1 Like

Welcome @mntbighker Scaler will output the same voices as the amount of notes in the chord. There are some features coming in 2.2 that may assist you but what exactly are you trying to achieve? Can you give me an example?

Off the top of my head if I have only 4 voice polyphony at my disposal in my Eurorack it would be useful to limit my choices in menu selections to that preset number. So not offer patterns that require exceeding 4 note polyphony. Sorry, my music theory is very weak, which is why I bought Scaler in the first place. I’m not even sure it’s possible to limit my options in this way. But it never hurts to ask.

mmm maybe this thread is close to the one I thought to start

trying to play melodies in synchro with expressions & phrases, I noticed that it is often impossible due to the fact expressions & phrases chords use too much notes, overlapping the green area where I would have the option to play single notes…

there is a way to force expressions & phrases chords to use a few notes, so green places are all free?

here for example playing a Fmaj7 the 1, 4, and 3 green notes are overlapped (unusable)
and when you switch to another chord other green notes are overlapped (unusable)

You can edit the notes in the chords, turning them on or off so you can control the polyphony there. If you play block chords, arps or rhythms they should stay as you put them in. However, if you use expression it may change that.

1 Like

thanks a lot
but where editing notes?
in the guitar tablature on top in the left monitor?

Right click on any chord pad in a pattern and choose edit chord at the bottom of the pull down. Then you can click on any note that is on and turn it off or click on a note and turn it on. It looks like it behaves differently somewhat in the guitar window but it works fine.

1 Like

thanks
I never noticed it
indeed Scaler has many hidden features that aren’t covered by its skimpy help guide
unfortunately, videos are very common nowadays but I hate them as they are always spoken in English (or even harder languages), totally lacking subtitles, and I don’t understand spoken English, SIGH

1 Like

The ability to limit Scaler number of notes per chord would be incredibly useful, especially (as pointed out) for synths with limited polyphony, or for music where you just want to use simpler chords.

You can use the system that Jaime comments, with expressions. I have tried it and it works.
But I would like to point out that some Vsti’s, like Thorn or Pigments can receive Scaler chords and (when placed in some Sequence or Arpeggiator preset) can in turn forward their input to another Vst (including another instance of Scaler). The result is monophonic. I use it many times for good bass results.