Old PCs rock

Reading this Nature article I felt myself reassured

I can get along dozens of years with my current hardware

PC ridens

1 Like

Agreed 110%. Last year I picked up a MINT CONDITION 3 year old Dell Precision T7910. DUAL 10 Core Processors. I upgraded the RAM to 128GB (so I NEVER have to think about it again), put a 4GB Dual Monitor Video Card and 5 SSDs in it. Cost? $1,950. EAT THAT APPLE! :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are a lucky guy!

My Dell Optiflex 3010 i3 doesn’t want more than 8 GB, and yet I can drive my usual 4-6 tracks with no problem

Clearly, I have to avoid sampled plugins as The Plague, but being an amateur “basta e avanza” (that’s plenty)
:grinning:

2 Likes

Dual socket Xeon machine, I think ? That would whack my i9-9900 rig any day, at almost half the price (bearing in my that US vendors use an exchange rate of 1USD = 1 GBP)

Do you do video stuff? One advantage of Live is that the graphics demand to render screens is very low, so you don’t need some top end Quadro …

1 Like

Yes sir! Dual socket Xeons. The actual machine had 32GB in it and for $300 I bumped it to 128GB. Worth every cent. Runs ridiculously smooth not matter what or how much I throw at it. I don’t do video stuff. I’m really just starting with Studio One doing some Pop stuff and learning to Orchestrate. I bagged Pro Tools because of way too many issues with it. S1 just works. :slight_smile:

What is most important is what works for you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

:grinning:
Nevertheless, I think I’ll do an upgrade at the end of this year, but I’m always worried of doing that because I have tons of software to pour, tools I use in my job, so each time something goes wrong and an expected 4 hours job becomes easily a 1-2 days one

1 Like

Oh I’ve been THERE too. :slight_smile:

Took me a few days to get my system setup and everything migrated onto it.